new Hermann's mom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsprmax

5 Year Member
Hi there, this probably seems like a silly question to those of you that have beein doing this a while. Anyway, when you feed the dried hay do you soak it to make it moist again? Or just feed it dry? Also, with the spring mixes, doyou give the whole leaf or do you tear them up into smaller bites so to speak?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't keep Hermann's tortoises, but if memory serves me correctly, I've read here that they don't eat that much hay.

My sister cuts the Spring Mix up for small mouths, however, I don't. I just put a handful in the habitat and they either eat it or not! So if you think he can't bite of mouthfuls, then cut it up.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hermy does not eat hay but when I tried to give some to him, I put the pieces in warm water before offering it to him. I know some people give the whole leaf but when Hermy was a baby, he chocked (it got me so scared, it lasted for like 6-7 minutes) on a piece of lettuce. Since then, I cut his food in pieces. But now that he is bigger and older, on the week ends when I am home and when I got back home from work, I started giving him big pieces (under my supervision) and he loves it
:D. I know some people feed the leaf and everything is good. I guess it depends. Do you have a baby or a a little man or lady :D?

jsprmax

5 Year Member
He's a 4 year old I guess.. and right at 4" so he's bigger (and safer for a first time tortie mom :)

jsprmax

5 Year Member
He's supposed to be here tomorrow!!!! I can't wait! Just trying to make sure I have everything in place for his arrival :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
For a tort that size I think you'd have no problem giving whole leaves of spring mix. What else do you plan to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.