New Hermanns Tortoise Owner here!

Mogs92

Location (City and/or State)
Hull
Hi all, newly joined. Myself and my partner have a Hermanns Tort, they’re 20 months old, weight 70.6g, and have a length of 7.8cm. They’re still settling in, we haven’t had them long, a couple of months or so. Comfortable set up, very active and climbs sometimes too! Excellent appetite too, and has a BIG personality ;)

I already kept exotics, and I’m fairly advanced with happy healthy animals, but tortoises are still new ish to me.

Any good advice, you can all share, that you wished you’d been told when you first started keeping tortoises?

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7648.jpeg
    IMG_7648.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7649.jpeg
    IMG_7649.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7650.jpeg
    IMG_7650.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So you have two? They need their own enclosure, can not live together. Tortoise should not be kept in pairs
They are already showing pyramidimg so get them set up correctly with humidity.
I will post a link for you to read.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Welcome from Devon.We have a Hermanns tortoise too - he is 23 years old, and I very much wish I had access to this forum when we first got him ! There was very little help available at that time. I'm glad you found this forum, as you will get the best advice and help from people who really know what they are talking about.
It would be helpful if you could send some photos of his/her enclosure, and information about his diet and routine, in case there is something that could be improved on - as Wellington says, he needs humidity to avoid pyramiding.
Zola has a great personality too, like your chap, and I have come to think that Hermanns are in many ways the most fun tortoises to have!
Best wishes from Angie

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Give this a read when you have a moment.
And welcome to the forum!