New Hermanns Home At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I thought I would post photos of my 2 new Hermanns.
I picked them up yesterday and they seem to be settling in well.
They are smaller than I anticipated.I am so happy to have these.
They are around 7-8 weeks old and have grown about a half inch since hatching apparently.
Still experimenting with substrates etc in their big tub enclosure-I was going to build a table and then saw these stock tubs available and it was perfect for them.
I have some peat moss as a substrate and wet it down a little as I worry about the dust.

Thanks for looking!
Louise
P7160541 (Medium).JPGP7160552 (Medium).JPGP7160543 (Medium).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Great looking torts, congrats! I like using Eco Earth(brand) coconut fiber substrate. It doesn't mold and stuff when u mist it down. Just food for thought.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
cemmons12 said:
Great looking torts, congrats! I like using Eco Earth(brand) coconut fiber substrate. It doesn't mold and stuff when u mist it down. Just food for thought.

Thanks for the suggestion_i will have to track some down Our local hardware store had cedar bark but the pieces were huge-they would get lost, buried in such large pieces.
They are incredibly cute-barely 2 inches long so look kinda lost in their enclosure-lots of room to roam!
I have them outdoors for a while-assuming its ok to put young babies out given shade, protection, moisture etc? Should their outside time be limited I wonder ?

Thanks for the suggestion

Louise

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
I have waited 5-6 years for Hermanns to come along so it has been a patience game for me.
I'm so pleased with them.:D
Any tips appreciated as these are my youngest babies (of any species) so far - I can't believe how small they are!
Thank you!!!
Louise

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tortoise said:
cemmons12 said:

Thanks for the suggestion_i will have to track some down Our local hardware store had cedar bark but the pieces were huge-they would get lost, buried in such large pieces.
They are incredibly cute-barely 2 inches long so look kinda lost in their enclosure-lots of room to roam!
I have them outdoors for a while-assuming its ok to put young babies out given shade, protection, moisture etc? Should their outside time be limited I wonder ?

Thanks for the suggestion

Louise

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
I have waited 5-6 years for Hermanns to come along so it has been a patience game for me.
I'm so pleased with them.:D
Any tips appreciated as these are my youngest babies (of any species) so far - I can't believe how small they are!
Thank you!!!
Louise
I'm still pretty new at this so I won't pretend to know it all, but "I" wouldn't leave them outside for real long periods of time being how the are little ones.

natsamjosh

5 Year Member
Cute little ones, congrats! I just got my first one a few weeks ago, so I'm a new owner as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are gorgeous. Love them. I think the irregular scutes are pretty neat looking. I don't have any Hermanns yet, but only I leave my hatchling sulcatas and leopards out for an hour or two each day. Its very dry here and I worry about them dehydrating in the hot sun. As they get older and larger, I leave them out longer and longer. My yearlings are out for 6-8 hours usually.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Tom said:
They are gorgeous. Love them. I think the irregular scutes are pretty neat looking. I don't have any Hermanns yet, but only I leave my hatchling sulcatas and leopards out for an hour or two each day. Its very dry here and I worry about them dehydrating in the hot sun. As they get older and larger, I leave them out longer and longer. My yearlings are out for 6-8 hours usually.

Thanks Tom
In fact that is what I ended up doing-2 hours max yesterday as it was up to 29 degrees here and they had chosen to hit the shade so they came inside. They are just so tiny-I still can't get over how small they are-incredibly cute, I'm just in tortoise la la land right now:D:D

I had put them in a cat litter box with moist earth within another tortoise enclosure so they shared the screened roof and they must have dug around a bit in the soil-I'll attach some photos soon-very funny!!

Thanks for the advice-I will continue to put them out daily but limited time.
You mentioned not having Hermanns yet?? Are you planning any?:)
Louise

natsamjosh said:
Cute little ones, congrats! I just got my first one a few weeks ago, so I'm a new owner as well.

Thanks-Congrats on your new little one too.:tort:
Hope he or she is settling in well?

Louise

missmoofi

5 Year Member
Murcia, Spain
awww they are soooo darn CUTE :p good luck and congrats !!

I love the way one of the shells has like a shield shape on the top !!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Amy9 said:
They are so small and cute :) Very pretty!

Thanks Amy
Is that a Californian rabbit on your pic?
I have one here.When I lived in the UK as a child, I had a Californian rabbit for a pet-best rabbit I ever had..

Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.