New home for my Sulcata hatchlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangito

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
It's finally finished! They love it! I have a section blocked off under the light because I'm growing a "garden" of seed mix that I ordered from sulcatafood.com and it needs to grow a little before they start trampling all over it, haha. 

Right under the lamps the temps get up to 100 degrees, cooling off a little every time I open the lid. The cool side has been consistently right around 85 degrees and humidity is 85+.

It's been one full day since I put them in it, and I already see a huge improvement in appetite and activity. After their soak today, when I was putting them back, I noticed Koopa's tail started wagging (just like a dog!) as soon as I put him down. I think that's enough proof I need to know they love their new home.

Within the next week we will be making a second enclosure and Torty will be going to love with my step daughter and her mom. I will be sending Torty with all the info I learned from this site, to ensure he/she stays a happy healthy tortoise!

20130801_171722.jpg
Side
20130801_171751.jpg
Warm spot
20130801_172014.jpg
Cool side + humidity
20130801_172007.jpg

Now a few questions...

1. Should the temps drop at night? Mine seemed to get warmer..

And I seem to have forgotten the rest of my questions haha. Will ask when I remember!

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
when my torts wag their tails.. they poop... its not a happy thing... HA!

looks good... I would get a flat stone or dish to try to keep the food out of the substrate.. not always easy tho!

Mangito

5 Year Member
Arizona
Laura said:
when my torts wag their tails.. they poop... its not a happy thing... HA!

looks good... I would get a flat stone or dish to try to keep the food out of the substrate.. not always easy tho!

Yeah the stuff gets everywhere lol. If my garden starts growing, that will be their main food, with greens thrown in. Will put a food bowl once the space opens up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to run a ceramic heating element on a thermostat set to 80. Put the probe inside the enclosure, but not directly under the bulb. This will keep your night temp where you want it. Run your basking lamp on a timer for 12 hours. Check the temp directly under this bulb. It should be around 100. If its too hot get a smaller wattage bulb. Not hot enough, get a larger wattage bulb. When you find the right bulb for your particular enclosure, I suggest you get at least a couple of them as spares.

The new set up looks good. Now that you are all done with that one, start planning the 4x8' one, since they will be outgrowing this one in the next two or three months. Yes. I said months. :D Sulcatas ROCK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.