new home on dining room table...

Status
Not open for further replies.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
I put the new baby in a nice box on the dining room table. I changed out the light bulb to give him some heat. I have water a food rock and a basking rock that in under the light.
Here is an overall picture (sorry its so dark)
2012-09-24_09-29-08_982.jpg

Here he is through the glass.
2012-09-24_09-24-17_344.jpg

You can see the hide I put in for him.
2012-09-24_09-24-55_211.jpg

I came home from work at lunch and this is what I found.
2012-09-24_11-35-12_210.jpg

Do you think its warmth he is after or did he get tiered and need a nap from climbing? Either way, I took out the log so he doesn't end up on his back.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At first i thought you made your dining table into an enclosure:D He's Very cute. You need to check your temps. He may need a hotter basking spot and the top of the log was it. Also, you do need to give him a hide. Make a square one with straight sides, then he won't be able to climb up on it. Also a few plants for him would be nice, giving him some natural hiding spots and a feel of security.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't believe your wife allowed that, Murray! Steppe tortoises like to climb, and babies are always getting into trouble in this way. What is the distance from the habitat floor to the light? Have you measured the temp directly under the light?

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
emysemys said:
I can't believe your wife allowed that, Murray! Steppe tortoises like to climb, and babies are always getting into trouble in this way. What is the distance from the habitat floor to the light? Have you measured the temp directly under the light?

Its about 15", fixture to basking spot. The basking spot is 95° .
If it ever cools down in Fresno I'll have to change up the lighting. The box being so small is hard to keep a cooler area.

That little tortoise is so cute I bet I could keep him in my room without complaint!

Status
Not open for further replies.