New Horsefeild Tortoise (Plymouth England)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello everyone I've been reading about the amount of light Russian tortoise require as you can see further down in the thread I have picture of his tortoise table a little small will be making a bigger one :). Do you think he'd benefit from another light source , thinking maybe a tube light down the centre ? Also I am worried about temperatures at night as I love in the uk and it's getting cold what sources do people use to provide a heat over night ? Thanks for reading Tom
I use a CHE on a thermostat so it goes on and off as needed. Got both of mine with a wide dome for total of about £85 from The Range (Komodo).

Tortoise Tom

Just been looking at them , what size would you recommend I have a 125 watt for in the day was thinking maybe a 50 for at night ? And what sort of temp do you find best I was thinking around 50. Thanks for all the help

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
Yeah so helpful :)! Do you provide your torts with over night heat? And what first do you feed them ? Good to hear from another uk based member :):)

My home is well heated & I have provided a hide box which provides temperatures of between 80 and 85F during the night. It's definitely recommended that night time heat is provided though, especially with the climate we live in.

I keep a none-hibernating species so I will also need to make sure the temperatures stay moderate during the night, however when I kept Russian Tortoises, they hibernated. So the only advice I can give is what I've read on here...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1448316475.578038.jpg

Most people seem to have good results using a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) attached to a thermostat during the night. It's important if you do use this method though to make sure it's a CHE you buy as they don't give off light, and even Tortoises need beauty sleep :)
(I will be setting up a CHE within the next two weeks as temperatures are set to get even worse)

I know Preston well George, my sister went to Harris College/Poly/Uni (whatever its called these days) and my BiL is from Leyland spent a lot of time up that way before they moved away. There is another new member from your area but can't remember her name at mo.

That's awesome! What a small world we live in :) I'm based both in Preston & now in Leyland also. Lovely people, and good herp stores!

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Just been looking at them , what size would you recommend I have a 125 watt for in the day was thinking maybe a 50 for at night ? And what sort of temp do you find best I was thinking around 50. Thanks for all the help
Do you use a 125w CHE in the day? if so no need for a second - use the same for night - the thermostat will control it.
I use a 100w CHE in the corner of the room where Lola sleeps. He also has a radiator on 24/7 just behind his hide,
but I have a leopard which needs higher temps. Didn't the Russian caresheet mention recommended temps?
The night temps can be lower than the day but I think 50'f is a bit low - he may try to hibernate if too cold and if not ready that could be dangerous for him.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
That's awesome! What a small world we live in :) I'm based both in Preston & now in Leyland also. Lovely people, and good herp stores!

I had many a good night in the Broadfield pub in Leyland - don't know if it's still open.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Tom and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you.
Other useful threads are :
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/
I come from Somerset, originally, so not too terribly far from you.
He is probably hiding as he is in a new environment, it stresses them being moved and just now, he doesn't know if he's in another torts territory, if it is safe here, or if you are going to eat him!
If you get your set up right, he will soon adjust, come to see you as the benevolent food god and start to be bolder and explore more.
For once, the pet shop was right, he will lose any desire to hibernate if you keep his temps up and offer him tasty morsels to eat.
Here are some other good food ideas, the best ones being in bold. http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
For water it is good to use a cheap, shallow, terracotta saucer sunk into the substrate that is big enough for the tortoise to soak in.
Your substrate looks rather dry to me, check your humidity levels and look at the care sheet for this, as well as the closed chambers link.
Coco coir, cypress mulch or orchid bark are better substrates.
A piece of cuttlefish bone might be useful, too.
I think the bulb you describe is a MVB, so should be fine, it provides heat, light and UVB so is excellent but you will probably need a CHE for night heat in Plymouth!
Russians are hardy torts, so temps in the 60's are said to be fine, as long as he can raise his body temperature in the morning. 50's are a bit low.
Good luck. :)

Tortoise Tom

Thanks for all the hell he seems fine now coming out a lot more and just generally more active just in the process of planning his new table as I would like to make him a bigger one :)