New indoor enclosure sooner than later...

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Like the title says. I think I'm gonna have to upgrade my enclosure within the year. I had one that was 4x4 that really didn't turn out that well. Looking into a 4x8 next but am wondering how you make the corners on the upright areas look ok. I do plan on using plywood for the sides. Unsure of height.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Thanks for the links. I should have said I built one that was 4x4 for my old tort. I'm currently using a zoo med tortoise house for my new guy. I'm playing with ideas to make the zoo med one work for now. I'm just afraid of using plastic sheets or something for it and have some,thing melt. Not sure I can trust the cats here. I did buy a piece of plexiglass but it's not really ideal considering I'd have to cut holes for 3 lamps.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for the links. I should have said I built one that was 4x4 for my old tort. I'm currently using a zoo med tortoise house for my new guy. I'm playing with ideas to make the zoo med one work for now. I'm just afraid of using plastic sheets or something for it and have some,thing melt. Not sure I can trust the cats here. I did buy a piece of plexiglass but it's not really ideal considering I'd have to cut holes for 3 lamps.

To me the only real solution is to make it high enough to hang the lights inside. Even with holes cut, not only is there the problem of sealing around them and dealing with the heat on the surrounding material, but no matter what you do, you will get a chimney effect as any good fixture will have some ventilation holes in the fixture itself because of the heat. That defeats the "closed chamber effect" we are trying to create. Once you get the lights inside, you will find it takes much less to heat it, and once set up and tweaked, it will maintain a much more constant environment.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Ok getting down to it. I moistened up the bedding and got this greenhouse today. Unfortunately it's broke. Perfect fit over the open area though. Also bought a couple temp/humidity sensors to stick in there along with a temp controller for the CHE.
IMG_0001.PNG