New Jersey salutes you! ;)

penceton

Hi all,

My name is Alex and I reside in New Jersey, USA. My wife and I over the weekend went to a reptile show and aside from picking up some dart frogs, we were able to purchase our first lil' baby tortoises -- Testudo marginata! Two of them. Quite gorgeous animals, truly :)

So I wanted to set myself up on an appropriate forum and soak up as much information as possible for them! At the moment, I'm trying to find a care sheet on the sheet(with difficulty) and have it relate to the US. The ones on the internet that I've seen seem all UK-based. Probably because they hail from the Mediterranean.

Anyway, can't wait to soak up as much as I can learn on these guys and more.

Thanks! :)

Alex

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi Alex and welcome! Had you planned to get the tortoises?

penceton

My wife and I had actually seen someone on FACEBOOK with some baby Marginated Tortoises, and were pretty taken aback with how cute they were. I was under the ol' myth that allllllllll tortoises got to be *HUGE* like the GALAPAGOS TORTOISES!!! So I was kinda relieved when these guys would max out at a more manageable size! :)

I wasn't expecting them to be at the show though.....but I have many, many amphibians.....day geckos, etc....so I'm welcoming the challenge, we certainly have opened my home and hearts to these cute lil' guys! :) :) :)

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hello and welcome! Feel free to post pictures of your little ones, we love pictures here!

And much love to my home state! I may live in the south, but I will be a Jersey Girl forever!

penceton

Thanks for the warm welcome(go Barista! hehe).

Got in touch with Chris at "Garden State Tortoise" and he pointed me in the right direction...

Here are pics of the enclosure(rubber maid) that I just set up, and the babies! :)

prettyprinsez

Hello and welcome. I see your from jersey, just like me ! :) I was wondering how warm do you keep their area and how? Being that's is really cold most of the time in jersey.

Well I have a baby sulcata so I guess the temperature that your tortoise is suppose to be in is different.