New leo mommy needs housing help

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlyg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
My name is G, I live in South Florida and I am the proud mommy of 2 baby leos (about 2mos old I was told). Too long a story to tell how I ended up with them, but suffice to say I wasn't prepared. That being said, I am eager to learn and would like to do the right thing by them. They were given to me in a 36x18x12h glass tank with a screen cover. I did some quick research and ended up with cypress mulch in have the tank and aspen bedding in the other. The basking lamp is over the big log that's supposed to be the hide box on the cypress side. The food dish and water bowl (big enough to soak in ) are on the aspen bedding side. The ligthing Im using now is 75w basking and 5uvb for lighting. Being in S Florida, the air conditioner is on all the time and the house is always around 73 degrees. The night temps in the tank are around 65 degrees and I can get it up to about 85 degrees in the day. One of the babies is doing really well. He eats,(spring salad sprinkled with calcium/D3) and cruises around, sleeps a couple of times a day. The other one just sleeps alot. I put her by the food and she eats a little, then retreats to the corner to hide. When I first got them, the tank was full of rabbit pellets. He stayed under the big log all the time. Now that the cypress mulch is down, he doesn't go under the log. I feel like the tank isn't warm enough. What can I do with the lighting to change that?? I would love some suggestions, based on my setup, as to what type of lighting and fixtures I should be using. Also, is my choice of substrate suitable. I have read so many conflicting blogs, i'm really confused!! Sorry this is sooo long, but I wanted to give as much detail as possible. I really would hate to have anything happen to them because of my lack of knowledge. Thanks for any help you can give!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi G:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

I really like the MVB (mercury vapor bulbs). They provide heat and UVB all in one fixture. I use the 100 watt bulb for my babies. I have hanging so that the bulb is 12" from the top of the substrate, and the hanger is positioned so that it shines down on one wall of the habitat. I don't think the babies should be getting the full force of the light. I sometimes turn it on only for about 4 hours during the middle of the day, using a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb for heat the rest of the time.

You need to get it warmer in your habitat. 100+ directly under the light, fading to about 78+ on the other end. The babies also need heat at night. Quite a few folks are now using the heat ropes under the substrate, but I haven't tried that yet. For my babies I have a mylar seedling heater under the substrate under the hiding place. It only gets up to 80F degrees, and you can add more substrate for cooler or scrape some away for warmer.

To keep your new leopard babies from pyramiding, it helps to have a humid hiding place for them. I lightly pack moistened sphagnum moss into the hiding place and make sure it stays moist. But, be sure to keep them warm. Moist and cool can be a death sentence.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome and congrats. Please read the threads listed below with my signature. It is how I keep mine and have had no problems. I would not let temps get below 80 day or night.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Since you are in Florida, I think the best thing you could do for your tortoises is set them up outside. If you don't have backyard space you could set up an enclosure using a large rubbermaid tub (with opaque sides), or something of that nature.

If you want to keep them inside, I'm with Yvonne in that an MVB is a good choice along with one or two full spectrum tube florescent lights. Where you're at you probably don't need to do much to increase the humidity, but the temperatures need to be somewhere between 75 - 80 on the cooler end, and around 100 in the basking area.

Your substrate choice is good, and it sounds like you're off to a good start.

Some more ideas are on this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Leopard-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1l4D0znLT

onlyg

5 Year Member
South Florida
dmarcus said:
Hello and welcome to the forum...

Thank you and thank you all for your great advice. I will eventually have secondary housing for them outside, but I believe they are way to small for that now. Until then, I will take all your advice and get them warmer and more humid and hopefully the little one will come around. Thanks again!! Will keep you posted...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Always get them out into the sun when possible. No baby is too young for good old natural sunlight. In S. Florida, you should be able to get them out side a lot:D

Status
Not open for further replies.