Status
Not open for further replies.

Papo!

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
Hi everyone!

I'm a new family member!

Basically, my boyfriend bought me a Red footed tortoise for Valentine's Day <3 He purchased him (Sheldon) but I call him Papo, from a breeder down in Miami, Florida, which is where I live. So we got the basics, 10 gallon aquarium, soil holds the moist, cover to hide, heat lamp, water dish, and a food dish.

I'm really worried because he lives in my room and my mom refuses to put the AC above 74, there isn't a lot of humidity in his enclosure, and he isn't eating his veggies -.-

He is four months old. I'm keeping a food and activities log to make sure I have variety in his diet! He has been eating mostly fruits since he's been with me and I know that's not good. The only veggies I've seen him eat is carrots! He has a calcium chunk! But he's rarely out in the sun unless I leave his enclosure outside while I'm at school. I have not left him outside yet on my balcony because I'm scared a bird will lift the screen and eat him :( By the way, I found this website because I was googling what healthy poop should look like hahahaha :p

So any advice would help!

Please and thank you :3

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! I hate to be the one to tell you, but a 10 gal is too small for all the things you need, plus a temperature variation. Might want to think a plastic tote, remodel a bookshelf on it's back or a larger tank (40 gal breeder will work for awhile). What is the light and how long do you have it on for? What is the temp in the tank? The coldest point and the warmest, plus night time temps. What are you using to take temps? Do not leave him alone in a tank. If the sun hits it, it will cook him! :(

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I agree with Jacqui - If I may add...I'd maybe change the soil to sphagnum moss, and if you mist it - and even spray Papo it would increase the humidity. Don't soak the moss though or it could cause shell rot if it's too wet. Offer turnip greens, Collard greens, Mustard greens. I have a 7 month old picky redfoot too, but you'll figure out what he likes. Babies do sleep a lot too...I was worried at the beginning when we got our little one. But if you take care of some of these things, you'll find he'll perk up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) The screen will block the UVB that your tortoise needs from either the sun or a artificial bulb. You live in Florida, so you should be building some kind of outdoors enclosure for him to get him outside every day. Make sure there is shade available and water. He also needs water 24/7 in the indoor enclosure. Like Jacqui said, the ten gallon tank must go. He needs to have a water dish, large enough he can get into, but shallow so he won't drown. A hide, and a flat rock or dish to eat off of. That won't fit in a 10 gallon tank. That's not even considering the different temps you need to make available. Read the red foot threads and learn the proper way to set up an enclosure for them and to properly care and feed them.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Welcome!!
Please take everyone's
advice to keep Papo happy
and healthy!!He really needs
to be in an enclosure outside
since you live in Fla!! He will
get depressed in only a 10 gallon
tank.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Whatever enclosure you decide to put him in, just make sure it's secure from anything or anyone trying to get at him. Temps in Miami are nice now, and I think he'll enjoy the sun, but....he needs shade to hide in (a hide). Always leave him a planter saucer filled with water so that he can self-soak and drink when he wants. Search for indoor/outdoor enclosures here. You'll get plenty of ideas. Post some pics of your baby too.

Papo!

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
When my boyfriend gave me Papo it was in a shoe box and he didn't get anything -.- So a teacher gave me his tank. He did mention to get rid of it soon just waiting on some money to get him a proper enclosure. I would love for him to be outside, but I'm so worried about predators and my entire backyard is tile with a swimming pool. So should I try those plastic tub looking things?

I leave the heat lamp on from 6:30 in the morning (before I go to school) until 7:00 pm. Switching to moss sounds a lot easier the soil gets him all dirty :( I just got a bunch of different veggies today :3

Thank you everyone so much!

This weekend I will be shopping for a new enclosure!

I'll post some more pics soon :D

<3 :tort: <3

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Unfortunately, as disappointing as this may sound, your doing everything wrong :(. I'm sorry to put it blunt, but the welfare of the tortoise is the greater concern. I would suggest making a thread in the redfoot/yellowfoot tortoise section, you'll get plenty of advice. Your diet needs changed, as does substrate, housing, and temperatures and humidity. I raise and breed red foots, so if you need any help, feel free to pm me and I can answer anything you wish privately.
Best wishes :).

Papo!

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Here are some pictures of Papo :3 :tort:

Attachments

• IMG_7995.jpg
    IMG_7995.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0174.jpg
    IMG_0174.jpg