Luigi's Mommy

Krimpz

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello tortoise lovers! I'm new to the forum and I've enjoyed searching around and learning more about my baby. I've had Luigi, a Desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii) for four months. He turned a year old in October and he has been very active and healthy, but I am not planning on letting him (or possibly her) hibernate this winter because I have not had him for very long and I do not know his medical history. He normally eats 3-5 dandelion greens or collards per day, as well as alfalfa hay and I let him graze and eat dandelions from the yard.

He has a Zoo Med UVB Desert lighting lamp that I purchased from a pet store for about $40, and I'm a little worried because he has been sleeping a lot since the weather change, and only eating about once a day. I'm wondering if I should get him another light? I bathe him once or twice a week, but I have been reading that I should bathe him every day or every other day. Any suggestions would be great! I've attached a few pictures of him eating, bathing and basking, and also a picture of him eating his birthday cake (a slice of apple once a year). Thanks all
:<3: :tort::<3:
Kristyn

Luigi 1.jpg Luigi 2.jpg Luigi 3.jpg Luigi Bday 10-11-14.png Luigi's mansion.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
When mine slow down for the season I get them up every day and bath them. I also up the temp in the enclosure about 5-10 degrees higher until they snap out of it. Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Krystin, and welcome to the Forum!