New Leo Tortoise

Curtis Durham

Location (City and/or State)
AZ
Just received a baby Leopard Tortoise from Tortoise Supply. He is just adorable eating well and seems healthy walking around eyes open. I have only had him for a few days now and have bathed him once each day kept his enclosure in the mid 80s and his hide is in the 90s with some moist moss in it. I have been feeding him twice a day in the morning I feed him greens like kale and romain and later in the day I put some Mazuri pellets in. I just wanted to Thank everyone on this forum I have really learned alot from this forum and really appreciate all of the great info I was able to find here. I am very excited to have Ottie (my Tortoise) and Thanks to this forum I hope to keep him Happy and Healthy

Any Suggestions for someone new to Raising Tortoises are very welcome : )

I did read the care sheet more the once lol I was very nervous I would get something wrong

Thanks again

Curtis

Attachments

• IMG_20171129_083856.jpg
    IMG_20171129_083856.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi and Welcome! I couldn't tell by your pic, but what kind of lighting / heat / substrate are you using? How's the humidity level overall? Is the habitat covered? It was suggested to me when I started out to mix some other types of greens in with the diet such as dandelion leaves, spinach, turnip greens, etc. I moisten up the Mazuri and mix it in with the greens every day. Twice a week I also give mine ReptiCal.

Curtis Durham

AZ
Hi and Welcome! I couldn't tell by your pic, but what kind of lighting / heat / substrate are you using? How's the humidity level overall? Is the habitat covered? It was suggested to me when I started out to mix some other types of greens in with the diet such as dandelion leaves, spinach, turnip greens, etc. I moisten up the Mazuri and mix it in with the greens every day. Twice a week I also give mine ReptiCal.
Hi and Thanks for the information I have a mercury Vapor bulb and ceramic heating element for heating sources. For the substrate I am using a zoo med soil brick and some moss. I have been keeping the humidity at about 70 - 80% right now the habitat is not covered it is a large Rubbermaid tub but I have ordered a wooden Tortoise House with built in hide that has a top over the hide and open cage style top for the main area just have to wait for it to arrive. As for the greens I have been mixing Romaine and spinach in the morning and moistened Mazuri later. The second day I gave him Kale and red leaf lettuce and more Mazuri . I just received the ReptiCal I ordered today so I will start putting that on his greens.

Thank Again

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hi and Thanks for the information

Sweet. I didn't fully have my enclosure "perfected" (I left that in quotes purposely" until just a few days ago. I already have my next enclosure project on the drawing board. I have an extra closet in my mancave that's not being used. I was using it as my server closet, so it is already heated / cooled, insulated, and has ventilation fan in the ceiling and ac receptacles. I'm planning to convert that closet into my next enclosure. I can't wait to get started on it. I love this crap. lol

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Just received a baby Leopard Tortoise from Tortoise Supply. He is just adorable eating well and seems healthy walking around eyes open. I have only had him for a few days now and have bathed him once each day kept his enclosure in the mid 80s and his hide is in the 90s with some moist moss in it. I have been feeding him twice a day in the morning I feed him greens like kale and romain and later in the day I put some Mazuri pellets in. I just wanted to Thank everyone on this forum I have really learned alot from this forum and really appreciate all of the great info I was able to find here. I am very excited to have Ottie (my Tortoise) and Thanks to this forum I hope to keep him Happy and Healthy

Any Suggestions for someone new to Raising Tortoises are very welcome : )

I did read the care sheet more the once lol I was very nervous I would get something wrong

Thanks again

Curtis
Ha! I do the same thing as you. I read, read, and reread the care instructions until I can memorize and spout out the answers. And I'm also reading every thread posted to the leopard portion and I'm on page 12 of 188. I want to learn everything I can about these lovely tortoises and what to expect in case the situation arises.