My Leo yearling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Left Coast :)
Hi guys! first of all ive just joined the forum recently and been reading a lot of stuff on here and learning a lot as well with all of the great information here. I got a new yearling from azsulcata last week here on the forum btw very healthy guy and very happy with him :) but one thing that concerns me is his size? He said that they were born last year of January 2012 and its march 2013 now but he's only 2.5"? I know that growth differs from each and all tortoises but he seems like a hatchling instead of a yearling to me? Another guy on the forums has a Leo in his 11th month and his' is as big as his hand already? Although I did not ask if he was the pardalis or babcocki family type of leos but would that make that big difference in size if that was the case?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
If it was simply being sold as a Leopard tortoise then it is quite likely a P.B. or of unknow/hybrid genetics. I would still however think it is in its first year. You may run into a difficulty when determining the difference between a hatchling and a yearling. It is widely variable. In my personal view torts are hatchlings for the entire first year post hatch. The next year they are yearlings. The following years until adulthood they are juveniles. At sexual maturity they are adults. But since it is often size (SCL) that determines the progression these are just general guidelines.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Do you have any pics/weight?

There's a guy on here whose yearling was only around 100 grams he seems to be doing everything right.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
That is a little small, but don't freak out about it. Mine stayed on the small side for a few years but then hit a growth spurt and haven't stopped since. Feed him properly, greens and mazuri, and house him properly with plenty of UVB or sun exposure and he'll do fine and start to grow faster in no time.

Some of the leopards that grow really fast have more pardallis-pardallis in them than babcocki so they will grow larger and faster. Yours is probably more babcocki so it will stay a bit smaller and slower growing.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I have a babcocki yearling and she's an extremely slow grower. 100 grams in 8 months kinda slow. So I wouldnt worry about it :)

pspryu101

5 Year Member
image.jpg

Tortus said:
Do you have any pics/weight?

There's a guy on here whose yearling was only around 100 grams he seems to be doing everything right.

I have some pics but I don't know his/her weight yet because I haven't bought a gram scale at the moment. I might get one tomorrow and report back for its weight but here are some pics :)

LeopardTortLover said:
I have a babcocki yearling and she's an extremely slow grower. 100 grams in 8 months kinda slow. So I wouldnt worry about it :)

Okay I feel much better now thanks guys! I might buy a scale tomorrow so I can record his exact weight but when I pick him up he's a pretty heavy tort for his size so I think he's doing we'll also :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pspryu101

5 Year Member
I purchased a digital gram scale today and weighed my leo on it he weighs about 84 grams. Just wanted to update on this and see if this sounds about right for a yearling at 2.5"?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My leopard is the size of my hand and turns 1 tomorrow. "he" is over 4" and last i weighed over 200 grams. I'll take measurements tomorrow and share them.
I raise mine the humid way.
He is Babcocki but not pure genes.

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
My leopard is the size of my hand and turns 1 tomorrow. "he" is over 4" and last i weighed over 200 grams. I'll take measurements tomorrow and share them.
I raise mine the humid way.
He is Babcocki but not pure genes.

i'm just unsure about his age due to his size :/ breeder said he's a year old so idk. i'm just jealous/worried of the other leopards here on the forum on their 6-7 months and they're bout the size of a baseball already :(

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
Is it possible that the breeder just made a typo, and it's really a 01.2013 hatchling?

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Steve_McQueen said:
Is it possible that the breeder just made a typo, and it's really a 01.2013 hatchling?

Not sure but possible? Oh we'll I guess that just means I get to enjoy him being small much longer lol

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
It would help if you can post a picture. Even if your tortoise is a little smile it doesn't really matter as long as you are providing everything it needs to thrive moving forward. Don't worry :)

pspryu101

5 Year Member
CtTortoiseMom said:
It would help if you can post a picture. Even if your tortoise is a little smile it doesn't really matter as long as you are providing everything it needs to thrive moving forward. Don't worry :)

Exactly and that's where it comes down to :) I was just curious and a lil worried for the guy but here's some pictures :) he's actually 3inches now lol

image.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-4.jpg

image-5.jpg

Steve_McQueen

5 Year Member
It looks like you've done a good job of raising it so far. It's nice and smooth, which says a lot. :)

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
They all vary, i have two yearlings one is 76grams and the other is 170 grams, both from the same clutch. I've taken the small one to my vet and everything is perfect with him so it really varies

pspryu101

5 Year Member
Steve_McQueen said:
It looks like you've done a good job of raising it so far. It's nice and smooth, which says a lot. :)

Thanks! I try to keep their enclosure as humid as I can but warm at the same time and soak soak soak :) Joining TFO gave me a lot of knowledge for tortoise care

AustinASU said:
They all vary, i have two yearlings one is 76grams and the other is 170 grams, both from the same clutch. I've taken the small one to my vet and everything is perfect with him so it really varies

That's amazing, I guess it really does vary.. Can't wait for mines to grow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.