New leopard tortoise owner

hhilgen2

Location (City and/or State)
SE Missouri
HI All,
I'm the proud owner of a leopard tortoise hatchling, "Ricky Martin". I've had it for approximately a week and all seems to be going well. We're located in SE Missouri, so we've been taking full advantage of the warm temperatures this week! I did have one point of clarification as to husbandry: I obtained a Zoo Med ReptiSun10.0 Mini Compact Fluorescent bulb for use on days where the tort needs to brought indoors. It is not a coiled type, but the new design. I've read a lot that this may lead to eye issues and was wondering if this just pertained to the old coiled models or ALL of the CFL's. As merely anecdotal information, the tort was a bit lethargic and had persistently closed eyes for the first 2 days I had him, which coincided with the 2 days he was inside under the lamp. Since being outside, he's really perked up and roams around his 4 x 8 foot enclosure, grazing all day. I thank you all for your knowledge - I've been a lurker for months!

2015-06-08%2011.29.49_zpsnsxmdhsv.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Be sure to read Toms threads below about heat and humidity. Very important for raising a smooth healthy leopard. I would not use any compact bulbs. A Mercury vapor bulb will give heat, light and uvb. For the summer months, if you can get him outside a few times a week at least for about an half to an hour each time you don't need uvb until winter. Always provide shade and an airy enclosure, babies can over heat quickly.

hhilgen2

SE Missouri
Thank you! I've carefully read the information posted here and hope that I'm following it appropriately. Indoors is a closed enclosure with a humidity gradient (average 80%), cypress bark and a temperature gradient of 78 as an overnight low in the cool area and 95 in the basking area 24-7. There are several different hides throughout his enclosure so he can pick his humidity and temperature preferences. Outside he has basking areas, shade with daylilies and several hides, humid grass/weeds in yard, and a shallow water trayin-ground. He's brought inside if it rains or when temps are lower than the high 70's/low 80's. Or above 105 :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you! I've carefully read the information posted here and hope that I'm following it appropriately. Indoors is a closed enclosure with a humidity gradient (average 80%), cypress bark and a temperature gradient of 78 as an overnight low in the cool area and 95 in the basking area 24-7. There are several different hides throughout his enclosure so he can pick his humidity and temperature preferences. Outside he has basking areas, shade with daylilies and several hides, humid grass/weeds in yard, and a shallow water trayin-ground. He's brought inside if it rains or when temps are lower than the high 70's/low 80's. Or above 105 :)

If you want to check if the daylilies and any other plants are are safe or toxic check with www.thetortoisetable.org.uk I think I read somewhere that all lilies are toxic but can't be sure,

Also I find this useful to remember

high temps + humidity = healthy tort
low temps + humidty = sick tort

hhilgen2

SE Missouri
Yes, all lilies are toxic except daylilies (hemerocallis). That's the same temperature/humidity adage I'm trying to adhere to!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Yes, all lilies are toxic except daylilies (hemerocallis). That's the same temperature/humidity adage I'm trying to adhere to!
He's a beautiful baby by the way. I have an older leopard who was found and unclaimed so he adopted me. He had pyramided and has afoot missing and I had no idea there was so much involved in his care but love him to bits.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Ricky Martin.
It's a gorgeous little tort.
Read, learn, contribute, ask questions and have fun.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!!

I don't recommend using ANY of the CFL's. And because your baby spends so much time outside, you don't need UVB indoors at all. You can either use a CHE for heat or a regular incandescent bulb.

What is the name of that beautiful flower in your avatar?

hhilgen2

SE Missouri
Thank you all for the warm welcome and the compliments on my wee tort! The CFL has been ditched and will be relegated to the orchid greenhouse :) The flower in my avi is Masdevallia Antizana, a funny little orchid that grows well only in my kitchen window :rolleyes: