new leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
Some of you may remember me that I have Rocky a 160 pound sulcata and I am from southern california. Since I am a retired Cal State Humane Officer I often get "critters and things" dropped off at my ranch. I had a leopard tortoise dropped off today. I have never had leopards and need some feeding advice. I currently have 7 deserts and Rocky the sulcata. I have all of them in separate tortoise pens. The scutes are very prominent on this Leopard. I will take a few pixs later and post them. Any advice is greatly appreciated...Thanks so much

Marianne

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I agree with above post pretty much the same care as sulcatas cant wait to see some pic's :cool:

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
I agree with above post pretty much the same care as sulcatas cant wait to see some pic's :cool:

How do you take care of yours in the winter? I am from Bennington, Vt originally and I know the winters are brutal back home..I will take some pixs this week I hope. I am home from work with the flu...:(

yagyujubei said:
Care for him just like Rocky and you won't go wrong.

Thank you so much..

coreyc said:

My critter count at the moment is:

4 grown kids
6 horses
7 dogs
1 cat
1 male sulcata Rocky
7 deserts 6 females 1 male
1 leopard (female) I believe very short tail flat bottom
3 red earred sliders in my pond
12 very large gold fish

I think that is it..

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
hoverpilot said:
coreyc said:

How do you take care of yours in the winter? I am from Bennington, Vt originally and I know the winters are brutal back home..I will take some pixs this week I hope. I am home from work with the flu...:(

yagyujubei said:

Thank you so much..

coreyc said:

4 grown kids
6 horses
7 dogs
1 cat
1 male sulcata Rocky
12 very large gold fish

I think that is it..

I have a room down stairs where I keep my tort table when they get bigger they will have the whole room:p I have a humidifier & heater in the room just bought a four foot fluorescent grow light to keep some food growing like cactus grazing mix and some other stuff

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
Here is a photo of the new leopard tortoise. Any information on the condition of the shell would be helpful. photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
hoverpilot said:
coreyc said:

yagyujubei said:

Thank you so much..

coreyc said:

4 grown kids
6 horses
7 dogs
1 cat
1 male sulcata Rocky
12 very large gold fish

I think that is it..

I have a room down stairs where I keep my tort table when they get bigger they will have the whole room:p I have a humidifier & heater in the room just bought a four foot fluorescent grow light to keep some food growing like cactus grazing mix and some other stuff

I posted a photo of the leopard. How does it look to you? I don't know enough about leopards to tell if the shell is good or not. She is a very light color as well.

AnthonyC said:
Nice tort! He looks so white! Good luck!! :cool:

I just didnt' know if the scutes were suppose to be so prominent and she is almost white or a light yellow. Is that a normal color?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's got some pretty heavy duty pyramiding, but I don't see that it's related to MBD. Its just cosmetic at this point. Also, she might be just a bit young to tell for sure if its male or female. Can we see a picture of the bottom of the shell (laying on her back and taken from directly overhead)? No, they're not supposed to be bumpy. Its probably because her previous owners kept her too dry. They need some moisture/humidity to make them grow smoothly.

Glad to see you back posting. Sorry it took the flu to get you back here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.