turtle id help

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
I had a turtle/tortoise? dropped off at my ranch today and have no idea as to what it is. I have been searching on line without much success. I will try and post pixs as well. He has red spots on his head, yellow spots on his legs and a very domed shell. Hopefully I can get the pixs to attach this time.

another pix I hope

Attachments

• IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    813.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1405.JPG
    IMG_1405.JPG
    813.1 KB · Views: 27

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
hoverpilot said:
I had a turtle/tortoise? dropped off at my ranch today and have no idea as to what it is. I have been searching on line without much success. I will try and post pixs as well. He has red spots on his head, yellow spots on his legs and a very domed shell. Hopefully I can get the pixs to attach this time.

another pix I hope

Looks like a Three-toed Box Turtle, Terrepena carolina triungus

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
I have no idea on how to care for a box turtle. Anybody close to Temecula that has them?

Attachments

• IMG_1407.JPG
    IMG_1407.JPG
    999.5 KB · Views: 15

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
terryo said:
He looks to be a very old three toed boxie. Looks like a male.

What does he eat. I have him in a very nice 3 sided brooder box for chickens with a screen top to keep him safe. I put a flat bottomed water dish in there for him. What is the best diet for him until I can place in an appropriate home? I appreciate all of the help. I am so glad I joined your site.
Marianne

M

Maggie Cummings

Nightcrawlers, super worms, any kind of fruit melons, most bugs, slugs

Here's a link for you..thanks for helping that guy out. Box turtles are wonderful very personable animals.

http://aboxturtle.com/

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Three Toed's love to soak, so it would be good it you can give him a large enough dish so he can sit in it. If he is wild caught, he probably is used to eating worms and crickets, slugs, pill bugs...etc. You can offer him some sweet potato, dandelion or try some Spring mix. Most fruits, except citrus. They love berries, blue berries, strawberries. Mine love any kind of melon too. Also mushrooms. Once or twice a week, I will offer some canned venison, and mix in some veggies and fruit. He's a beautiful boxie and I would take him if I lived nearer to you, although I really don't like to keep WC boxies.

hoverpilot

5 Year Member
terryo said:
Three Toed's love to soak, so it would be good it you can give him a large enough dish so he can sit in it. If he is wild caught, he probably is used to eating worms and crickets, slugs, pill bugs...etc. You can offer him some sweet potato, dandelion or try some Spring mix. Most fruits, except citrus. They love berries, blue berries, strawberries. Mine love any kind of melon too. Also mushrooms. Once or twice a week, I will offer some canned venison, and mix in some veggies and fruit. He's a beautiful boxie and I would take him if I lived nearer to you, although I really don't like to keep WC boxies.

I am not sure he is a wc. A friend of mine was doing some landscaping in somebodys yard and found him there. I am from NY as well and will be home in July...Maybe I will bring him with me..:)I did give him 2 strawberries last night but will see if I can find some bugs. It is so dry here almost desert like. Thank you so much for the information on him. I am hoping to find someone here that already has boxies.
Marianne

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if he escaped from one of the adjoining neighbors to the yard that your friend found him in? I am sure your friend checked around there already huh? And by the way, I am still eagerly awaiting to see pics of your Ca Desert Tortoises :) good luck with your new find :)

Status
Not open for further replies.