New lizard..

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
My boyfriend got me a lizard for my birthday. He says she is a madagascar spiny tailed iguana. She is super cute and I love her! But I'm confused about what kind she is. He got her from a friend so he has all the information on how to take care of her and such. But I was searching online for more information on her so I know all that I can and I can't find any information...
I found a video about the madagascar spiny tailed iguana but that's about it. Is that actually a species or do we have the wrong name?
Iv includeda picture incase anyone recognizes her as something

Attachments

• 1380139229323.jpg
    1380139229323.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 100

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Pretty cool. I don't know this species. Hopefully someone will post a link to a good site, so we can learn too.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
Thanks a million!!! I'm glad someone could identify her, I just want to make sure she has the best care I can give her.

That first link just took me to a bunch of pictures and the second is the same as the other ones I have found but it is describing a different species than what iv got. The pictures from the first link look exactly like her though.

spartasaur

5 Year Member
Do you know where I cam find information on them? I honestly can't find anything

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
spartasaur said:
Do you know where I cam find information on them? I honestly can't find anything

Regrettably not. I was flying blind 13+ yrs ago when I had mine. The upside was that he was fairly hardy. Ironically, I can't for the life of me remember what I did with him! [probably gave him away or traded him]

In any case, this is the most comprehensive site I was able to find [and you probably already stumbled upon it yourself] - http://eol.org/pages/791248/details

In summary, they seem to be arboreal. Their diet is somewhat omnivorous, predominantly on the carnivorous side. I would keep invertebrates as a staple, and supplement with veggies once or twice a week. Maybe try a small pinky mouse every month or so for some extra protein.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
And one technique that I use for just about every lizard species is to offer a humid hide. I get a small tupperware container with a lid and cut a door hole out just big enough for the lizard. Then I fill it with damp coco coir, or something like that. If this species doesn't need it, I can't see how it could hurt anything to put one in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.