New member and new tortoise owner

Uwabamireptiles

Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hey guys, I’m Billy and I’m new to the forum. I live in Central Florida. It’s awesome to find a forum still active today. I didn’t think these were still around. I just recently got three black Burmese mountain tortoises from Vic in Daytona last month. These guys are my first dive into tortoises and so far I am very happy with them. I have experience with snakes, lizards, and amphibians. About 20 or so years all together between the different species. I have a decent collection as of now and just wanted to introduce myself. I have already learned a ton from this site and I plan to learn more in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_9682.jpeg
    IMG_9682.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9482.jpeg
    IMG_9482.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Billy!

I have bought Manouria from Vic Morgan in the past. He's a wonderful resource and it's good you are able to "pick his brain" on how to keep your new little ones. The only Manouria I have at the moment ( I had to lighten my load because of my age and ability to care for the larger tortoises anymore) is a two year old Manouria emys emys that was hatched with no eyes so I kept it. Right now (I call her 'she', but really have no idea) she's about the size of my hand including the fingers, but I have no idea what I'll do with her when she gets bigger. She's tame as a puppy. She's been living first in a closed chamber, then in a tort table, but this past summer she graduated to a small outdoor jungle enclosure. Being blind has no affect on her. She's very self confident. But she irritates the heck out of me by burrowing under her waterer every day!

Uwabamireptiles

FL
Hello and welcome!

Can you also showcase your other reptiles? Many here keep not only tortoises :)

P.S. Happy birthday @Ink and @Ray--Opo!
Yea for sure, I mainly keep snakes. Carpet pythons, old world rat snakes, and Amazon tree boas. But I have slowly gotten back into lizards, frogs, and toads. I like to stay busy so the collection definitely does that for me haha. Here’s a couple of pics of some things.

Attachments

• IMG_8543.jpeg
    IMG_8543.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8385.jpeg
    IMG_8385.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8303.jpeg
    IMG_8303.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8140.jpeg
    IMG_8140.jpeg
  • IMG_7962.jpeg
    IMG_7962.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7773.jpeg
    IMG_7773.jpeg

Uwabamireptiles

FL
WOW. What a nice collection. What type of toad is that?

@Ray--Opo happy birthday
Thank you, and that’s a Giant Asian River Toad. Phrynoidis asper, I’ve really enjoyed keeping these guys. Looks like I have a pair so it’s cool to see the behaviors between the two on daily basis.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Thank you, and that’s a Giant Asian River Toad. Phrynoidis asper, I’ve really enjoyed keeping these guys. Looks like I have a pair so it’s cool to see the behaviors between the two on daily basis.
It is a nice looking toad. The feet are very unique looking.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yea for sure, I mainly keep snakes. Carpet pythons, old world rat snakes, and Amazon tree boas. But I have slowly gotten back into lizards, frogs, and toads. I like to stay busy so the collection definitely does that for me haha. Here’s a couple of pics of some things.
Wow! Really nice collection! I'm just a humble keeper of beardie, blue-tongue skink (and redfoot, of course). At the moment I'm pretty busy with these three :)

Attachments

• PXL_20240913_093030477.jpg
    PXL_20240913_093030477.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240827_104128991.jpg
    PXL_20240827_104128991.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20240817_113509765.jpg
    PXL_20240817_113509765.jpg
    749.6 KB · Views: 1

Uwabamireptiles

FL
Wow! Really nice collection! I'm just a humble keeper of beardie, blue-tongue skink (and redfoot, of course). At the moment I'm pretty busy with these three :)
Thank you! Your three are really nice too. Those are three species that are really fun to keep. First species I bred when I was a kid were bearded dragons.