New member from mountain

epenbecks

Location (City and/or State)
ca
Hi,
Introduce me a new member. Live in mountain area, Wrightwood, California.
Having this sulcata for 2 months now. I think her age between 1 or 2 yrs now.
I build a cage for her and I combined it with a container (with lid, not in the picture) so i can put heater inside the container.
I hope i can learn a lot from this forum.
Btw, i have big backyard so i'm open if someone need re-home their tortoise.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 20240504_174411.jpg
    20240504_174411.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240518_174901.jpg
    20240518_174901.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • VideoCapture_20240530-140826.jpg
    VideoCapture_20240530-140826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
Introduce me a new member. Live in mountain area, Wrightwood, California.
Having this sulcata for 2 months now. I think her age between 1 or 2 yrs now.
I build a cage for her and I combined it with a container (with lid, not in the picture) so i can put heater inside the container.
I hope i can learn a lot from this forum.
Btw, i have big backyard so i'm open if someone need re-home their tortoise.

Thank you.
Hello and welcome.

What is the length of this tortoise? They really shouldn't live outdoors full time until they are around 10 inches. When that time comes, you'll need an insulated, heated night box. This species needs an 80+ degree night box all year long. Here are two examples:

What is your plan for winter when it snows up there and the nights turn cold?

Here are a couple of threads with all sorts of helpful info that you won't find elsewhere:

Questions are welcome.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Please read the threads Tom left you and give that tortoise a bigger area to roam when outside. A lot bigger if it's 10 inches or more and that black box does not work for heat as he can not get away from the heat if he gets too hot.
Changes are needed ASAP.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, the info Tom gave you will be all you need.
What Wellington said is right on. The bigger the better once they are big enough. 10 in makes it hard for birds of prey to fly off with them. When you get setup correctly see if you're satisfied with 1 sully. I thought I wanted to rescue more sulcata's. But found for myself 1 is enough. There are plenty to rescue if that's what you want to do.

epenbecks

ca
Hello and welcome.

What is the length of this tortoise? They really shouldn't live outdoors full time until they are around 10 inches. When that time comes, you'll need an insulated, heated night box. This species needs an 80+ degree night box all year long. Here are two examples:

What is your plan for winter when it snows up there and the nights turn cold?

Here are a couple of threads with all sorts of helpful info that you won't find elsewhere:

Questions are welcome.

My tortoise is 6" long. If i hangout or working in my backyard, usually i put the tortoise outside the cage so she can walk around.

Yes that's my plan to make the cage bigger. And just fyi, that black container has opening at the side so the tortoise can go in and out to the cage.

Thank you for your examples Tom. Definitely i'll make one of those night box when the winter come.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise is 6" long. If i hangout or working in my backyard, usually i put the tortoise outside the cage so she can walk around.

Yes that's my plan to make the cage bigger. And just fyi, that black container has opening at the side so the tortoise can go in and out to the cage.

Thank you for your examples Tom. Definitely i'll make one of those night box when the winter come.
Free roaming in the yard will result in one disaster or another. They need to be in their own enclosure.

This tortoise needs a large indoor enclosure for nights and cooler days. Your current housing is okay for warm days, but the tortoise should live mostly indoors at this size in a large closed chamber enclosure.

epenbecks

ca
Free roaming in the yard will result in one disaster or another. They need to be in their own enclosure.

This tortoise needs a large indoor enclosure for nights and cooler days. Your current housing is okay for warm days, but the tortoise should live mostly indoors at this size in a large closed chamber enclosure.
Got it. I will work to make the enclosure bigger for now. Thank you Tom.