New member needing some help

mrob13

Location (City and/or State)
Builth wells
Hi all.
Im new to tortoise ownership,i have recently acquired a 10 year old hermann which i keep in a table in the garage.he has spent the last 3 days buried under the substrate and hasn’t moved,it went cold this week and went down to 14 degrees in the garage. Im wandering has he gone into hibernation?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You are suppose to provide heat for him. Tortoises can't just go right into brumation. They have to be off food for a time and soaked a lot before they do. They also need to have it done right and not left to do it on their own. They need a steady low temp to brumate.
You need to provide heat. 95-100F basking, 75-80F all over and no lower than 65F at night.
Then if you want to brumate him, start the process.

mrob13

Builth wells
You are suppose to provide heat for him. Tortoises can't just go right into brumation. They have to be off food for a time and soaked a lot before they do. They also need to have it done right and not left to do it on their own. They need a steady low temp to brumate.
You need to provide heat. 95-100F basking, 75-80F all over and no lower than 65F at night.
Then if you want to brumate him, start the process.
I do provide heat during the day for 10 hours and im aware of the procedure before hibernation.just didn’t expect him to go hibernation this early in the year

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I do provide heat during the day for 10 hours and im aware of the procedure before hibernation.just didn’t expect him to go hibernation this early in the year
But if your garage got that cold and he didn't have heat or it wasn't warm enough he would. However, if you get the heat up where it's suppose to be day and night, he likely will wake and be normal. Too cold and he's going to get sick and you won't be able to brumate him.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Welcome! Feel free to check out this thread on housing your guy indoors, use it double check you’re using the right kind of bulbs, have the right levels, enclosure size etc, there’s also a good diet link🙂

This one is good to double check materials and such

Hope they help! Feel free to come back with more questions if you have any😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Heat should be on for at least 12 hours daily, and more like 13-14 if you don't want to brumate him yet. The light cycle should not go down to 10 hours a day until you are well into the the process of preparing for brumation which takes 4-6 weeks. So no, your tortoise is not "going in to hibernation" over night. It is just too cold.

There is a lot of old outdated incorrect tortoise care advice out in the world. Here is the current and correct care info:

Here is the brumation info, and questions about any of these assertions are welcome: