new member with food question

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodafiish

5 Year Member
new member with food question

Hello guys. I'm new to the forum and all this info is a lot to take in. I'm confused about the feedings from the link that lists all the plants that we should feed. It says 85% is those that are listed should be fed. But I read on some sites that those are considered dark leafy greens and should be fed every once in a while. I read that grasses and weeds should be fed, but if those that are listed on the link are fine as well, that is fanastic. Info on the web can be everywhere sometimes, but if its coming from here, it must be credible.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
RE: sulcata food???

IMHO a sulcata diet should consist of mainly weeds, leaves and flowers, if it is a big one you can feed it some fruits and or vegetables, but it should not be more than 5 to 10% of it's diet, they like fruits because they are sweet but it is like candy a little bit won't hurt but you don't want it to be main part of their diet, Have you tried hibiscus flowers mine loves them.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois

Try getting some spineless prickly pear cactus and grow in a pot. I feed it a couple times a week along with lots of other stuff.

foodafiish

5 Year Member

then the veggies listed in the link aren't okay for a daily use?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi foodafiish:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

If your sulcata is a baby, then you pretty much have to feed them grocery store greens. The very best diet for any tortoise is to graze on plants that might occur naturally for them in the wild. However, most babies won't eat grasses and weeds (some will and that's great!!). So we do the next best thing and feed them dark, leafy greens. What are greens, afterall, but plants for grazing! So try some endive, escarole, etc and you might even buy a bag of Spring Mix. I generally go outside and pick some clover, dichondra and a bit of grass (grape leaves and mullberry leaves in season) and add them to the greens.

foodafiish

5 Year Member
Oh wow I didn't expect the whole thread to change and everything. Hello my name is Wesley and I'm from Calfornia. Okay so I those greens are good. I hope Costco or my Vons carries those veggies. I'll have to check them out. Also I was wondering where everyone buys their clovers, grasses, weeds, etc. I'm not sure if I have any places or know any place that sell that. I have grass outside my house, but I don't think it would be the right one haha.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Wesley:

I just take the scissors outside and cut grass, clover and weeds. But be sure it hasn't been sprayed with pesticides or fertilizers.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
What part of California?

Variety is the key, I grow tons of items. Mine love grape leaves, pansies, rose petals, rose leaves. Lots of choices, you just have to look around. Just make sure nothing has been sprayed on them! If you buy plants from the nursery, replant them and then let them detox for a few months.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome newbie!
Yes my baby sulcata eats grasses and weeds even dandielions!
They love romaine lettuce as well as store products!
But dont let that be his only course, u also need cuttlebone to sprinkle on his food!

You can buy springmix at the grocrey store for him to eat as well

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, I think cactus is one of the best food sources for a torotise there is!

foodafiish

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies! I live in a small city called Hacienda Heights. It's about an hour away from Los Angeles. All these foods sound awesome, the only thing is trying to find them. I don't know any place that sells grape leaves and all those things. There are convenient stores like vons, costco and such. The only place I know that sells plants is Home Depot, but not sure if those are safe for consumption.

As for cutting grass in my yard. I have to make sure nothing has been sprayed on it. That would be a great source of food. Unfortunately, I almost zero weeds in my grass or backyard since they're pulled by the gardeners. I always feel a bit scared when I go out and start picking things from the dirt. Just the thought of it being dirty and weeds being a bad thing floats in my mind.

I just found out a friend, who has a farm, is going home for weekend and I told him if he could get some weeds and clovers and whatnot. The problem is I'm not sure if those weeds are edible and safe for the turtles. He describes them as being tall stalks of weeds that look like tall grass. He's going to bring them back when he comes back from home. After I get the weeds, I could try to get a picture of them and post them on here. However, this probably isn't going to be long term since we're in college and are going to live away from each other after June, so trying to find a store that has all this would be step one.

I will also try to buy that cuttlebone at Petco! I read somewhere there are some calcium power that you can sprinkle or is that just the same thing?

M

Maggie Cummings

[split] [split] new member with food question

Hi Wesley and welcome to TFO. I have a Sulcata named Bob, he is 13 years old and weighs close to 90 pounds. You can buy packaged Spring mix from the produce section for your grocery store, Then you can go outside and cut some grass and weeds and blossoms and add that to the Spring Mix. Pick some roses and add the rose petals to the Spring Mix. There's lots of stuff you can add in the produce section like collards, kale, escrole, endive, radicchio, just walk thru the produce section and see what they have. Avoid fruit as tortoises can't process sugar and fruits are bad for them. Squash is good tho, soften it in the microwave and they'll love you for it.
You'll get a lot of good advice here so stick around!

B

bellabrownn

My friend I think your are looking little bit confused, if I'll give you any Idea for the food then only these sentence is coming out from my mind is choose diet food and also low calories food...!

Status
Not open for further replies.