Russian Tortoise Diet Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
I have one simple question - can my Russian tortoises eat these? Ingredients are listed in the link below. When you click on it they are listed directly under the picture in the tab labeled "More Information". I was particularly concerned about the apple fiber, though I'm not certain as to whether just the fiber of the apple is okay to give them or.....yah. I don't know. Input from experienced owners please?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11355

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
There is never ever any need to give artificially colored and flavored food to your Russian. In 18 years I have never used any artificial or processed food for mine. I even took a rescued yearling boxie off this exact stuff. It has to much sugar and protein for a Russian in my opinion. Russians much prefer dark leafy greens and weeds. There are several threads here where Russian diet is examined in detail. I highly recommend doing some additional reading and searching around here.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Absolutely understood. As I explained I have not chosen to use this product for my Russians because I believe it has too many chemical agents, sugar and too much protein for my torts. I rescued a boxie that was being fed this exact product and chose to not give it to him for these reasons. Some keepers may have experience with using it, I choose not to as I do not find it necessary or cost effective. Why purchase an artificially colored and scented food when what Russians needs are met brilliantly by free weeds and veggie trimmings.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I gotta agree,, if your tortise likes it,, then they sometimes go off the good food to eat the 'junk food' and you have a heck of a time trying to get them to eat the good stuff again. If you have to give your pets a treat... find the cubed butternut squash in the frozen veggie section..my russian loved that!

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Thank you Laura that is actually exactly why I was looking into getting the Tortoise Bites, as a treat for my tortoises once in awhile. I will definitely look for cubed butternut squash when I go grocery shopping next :) I've had my torts for a few years and I know what they can eat for the most part at this point, I did quite a bit of reading, I was just looking for some sort of treat and that's the only thing that I could think of. I was under the impression that it was better for me to ask first rather than just take the pet stores word for it that it would be fine. Thank you :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Mira_kaylee
I am thrilled that you took the time to do some research before getting your shelled friends. Believe me most people do not. Anyone that keeps these fabulous animals will eventually learn that there is always more to learn. That is what is so great about this forum. We are constantly learning from one another. I myself had never thought to look for the frozen butternut squash. So I also have to thank Laura for such an excellent suggestion. It was my first "ahh hah" moment in awhile. Please feel to keep asking questions, there is always more to learn...

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
There is a really great list of edible plants for Russian tortoises (including links to pics) here: http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

mira_kaylee said:
I have one simple question - can my Russian tortoises eat these? Ingredients are listed in the link below. When you click on it they are listed directly under the picture in the tab labeled "More Information". I was particularly concerned about the apple fiber, though I'm not certain as to whether just the fiber of the apple is okay to give them or.....yah. I don't know. Input from experienced owners please?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11355

furandscales

5 Year Member
Probably not the best idea. It might be ok but it's not necessary and probably better not too.

Status
Not open for further replies.