New member, working on outside enclosure b4 getting a tortoise.

The Last Ronin

Location (City and/or State)
Dallas
Hello all from Dallas, Tx. Finally able to fulfill my dream of owning a tortoise. I have always been fascinated by turtles and super excited to add to our family. Currently building an outside enclosure to house them. Size of enclosure will be 24 feet long, 5 feet wide & 4 feet high.

Looking for some tips & suggestions while I’m building the enclosure. Anything will help. Not sure what type of tortoise I would like to get but do want to stay with small ones, so I’m thinking any of the following:

Kleinmann’s Tortoise,​

Greek Tortoise,​

Hermann’s Tortoise​

Indian Star tortoise​

Russian Tortoise​

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you plan on getting adult or hatchling? Hatchlings need to stay in a closed chamber in your house until about 2-3 years of age depending of species and growth rate.

The Last Ronin

Dallas
UPDATE:

Got all the walls up. Now just needing to make a mesh top. Any suggestions on best way to go about making one ?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
mine are like this, but they can be HEAVY, so keep in mind ability to open it easily now and twenty years in the future. I would make it as light and as portable as possible, I would make covers I can easily put on and take off…

Attachments

• F994FCCD-C70B-4AD7-8AE6-EED3FB089C0C.jpeg
    F994FCCD-C70B-4AD7-8AE6-EED3FB089C0C.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 6

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi and welcome. That looks like a nice run. Tortoise can burrow. I put a layer if 1 inch squate wire along the base and beyond outer edge. I then added medium size stones for drainage amd then coconut coir and bark substrate. Tortoise want a mix of sun and shade so ensure that is provided. Any enrichment, low logs, low largish stones, food dish, water dish (shallow but big enough to sit in and walk through) and hides need to be centrally located to avoid them using it to get up and out. Outside hides are great but if you get cold weather it will need heat and uvb light in an indoor enclosure. I am in the UK and have both in and put enclosure. Enjoy

The Last Ronin

Dallas
Hi and welcome. That looks like a nice run. Tortoise can burrow. I put a layer if 1 inch squate wire along the base and beyond outer edge. I then added medium size stones for drainage amd then coconut coir and bark substrate. Tortoise want a mix of sun and shade so ensure that is provided. Any enrichment, low logs, low largish stones, food dish, water dish (shallow but big enough to sit in and walk through) and hides need to be centrally located to avoid them using it to get up and out. Outside hides are great but if you get cold weather it will need heat and uvb light in an indoor enclosure. I am in the UK and have both in and put enclosure. Enjoy
@Sarah2020 - yes, I plan on putting down some wire for that exact reason. I live in Texas so very dry weather. Now I need to figure out where I can get a good amount of substrate at a good price to fill that big area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Sarah2020 - yes, I plan on putting down some wire for that exact reason. I live in Texas so very dry weather. Now I need to figure out where I can get a good amount of substrate at a good price to fill that big area.
What species is going in there? Most don't need wire. I would use regular dirt in an outside enclosure like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just placed masonry caps on the ground up against the fence. It deters my russians from digging under the fenc(masonry caps = rectangular cement stepping stones)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I just placed masonry caps on the ground up against the fence. It deters my russians from digging under the fenc(masonry caps = rectangular cement stepping stones)
That is what I did based on Yvonne’s advice, Here is are some early photos of the enclosure before weeds grew in…

Attachments

• 9A19F105-2EF1-4D2F-AD89-119509118C15.jpeg
    9A19F105-2EF1-4D2F-AD89-119509118C15.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 9A3C7417-93B8-49BE-98C1-C24F53D37C87.jpeg
    9A3C7417-93B8-49BE-98C1-C24F53D37C87.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6

The Last Ronin

Dallas
What species is going in there? Most don't need wire. I would use regular dirt in an outside enclosure like that.
@Tom - haven’t decided on they type of tortoise to get. I do want to stay with smaller ones though. That way I can at least have 2 so they can keep each other company.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
tortoises cannot be kept in pairs. You will see that in the information provided. They are extremely territorial, and one will bully the other eventually to death. The bullying may or may not be overt and “look” like fighting in the way we think of it a lot of time. Bullying behavior can look like cute behavior we see in mammals, such as following each other around sleeping together, snuggling, etc.,

Tortoises can be kept in groups, but the ideal way to keep a tortoise is solo. You are going to a lot of effort to provide a wonderful habitat and environment and you have a lot of room there if you really wanted to you could probably split that space down the middle and have two side-by-side enclosures, but should not keep two together.

Read the guide sheets, it’s all in there…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom - haven’t decided on they type of tortoise to get. I do want to stay with smaller ones though. That way I can at least have 2 so they can keep each other company.
Tortoises don't want or need company. Other tortoises are seen as competition or intruders, not as friends.

Groups of juveniles, can work, but then you have to sort things out as they mature, depending on the sexes. Solo is best, unless you want to breed later, and don't mind having to house them all separately as they mature.