Katylady

5 Year Member
I found a box turtle in my back yard a couple of months ago. Her name is Charlotte and looks like an Eastern Box but not sure. We built what I think is a good pin outside and she seems to be happy. I have never had a turtle. It is starting to get cold and I am worried about hibernation. She has a house with cypress mulch piled up in it but she seems to be just hanging out in the asian jasmin area. Do I keep putting food out? I am at a loss. Please give me some advise.:(

Katylady

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome.

Where are you?
I am in Katy, Texas, just west of Houston. Weather today 72/53 Sun. 76/52 but next week, 54/33 at least on Wednesday. What do ya think?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Odds are its either a 3toed box turtle or an ornate box turtle considering your location . Is providing a picture possible??

For hibernation I would provide her two separate areas. One of loose hay and another one of leaf debris. I have some box turtles that are fond of hibernating in hay and others strictly do leaf matter.
I pick up large bags of leaves in neighborhoods every fall and spread out roughly 3inches covering about 50 percent on my enclosures. You don't want to cover everything because then it makes it hard to find food if there is a warm spell during the winter. And because you are in south Texas than warm spells do occur in the winter and your turtle may emerge from time to time from hibernation

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Some of my box turtles are still coming out every day too. If the turtle is eating the food you put out, then I'd continue to put it out. They know when to stop eating.

Katylady

5 Year Member
Outdoor enclosure-Near Houston

I have not seen my sweet Charlotte since it turned cold here in Houston. We have added pine needles and grass clippings a few times where we think she may be hybernating. Today I noticed a small round opening and thought she may be digging out. I am new to this. Should I put out some food for her now. Weather to be in 60's and 70's, no cold weather coming anytime soon. Please give me your thoughts. I miss her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Turtles usually don't eat while they're brumating (hibernating). Box turtles may come out and sun themselves for a few minutes, but then go right back into the leaf pile. No need to offer food until the weather truly warms up, even the nights.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ .
Don't for get box turtles are great climbers so make sure pen is covered or have a over hang so your box turtle cannt climb out of its pen
Hope you have as much fun with your boxys ( I have 5 ) as I do mine !

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
Your box turtle is absolutely beautiful .I love those big eyes and bright color. Keep us posted when she comes out of hibernation.