New outdoor enclosure

applebob46

My new enclosure for my Russian tortoise ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437433834.410167.jpg

The inside with the screen top lifted up. I'm trying to get more plants and shade type things right now. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437433892.170664.jpg

The second part to it also lifts upward and its a big hideaway with a bowl sunk into it for Martin to dig into. I still need to buy more substrate tomorrow lol. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437433988.016451.jpg

Any suggestions for any improvements or fixes is appreciated :)

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
UK
What substrate are you using? It looks sandy in the picture. If it is sand would recommend changing it as it can become impacted in the gut if it gets on their food.

applebob46

What substrate are you using? It looks sandy in the picture. If it is sand would recommend changing it as it can become impacted in the gut if it gets on their food.

The substrate I'm using is coconut coir. I made sure not to use sand. That brand is also supposed to be specifically for tortoises.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great start! Interested to know how well the buried dish works. Is that screen top a fine mesh? Bad thing with them, is they often seem to block a lot of the nice sun.

Keep us updated as you do more on it and the plants are in and growing. :)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another question I have is... do you have planned an inside lip? Or at least corner blockers, so he can not climb out? I worry he may squirm out the top, even with the lid down.

applebob46

Another question I have is... do you have planned an inside lip? Or at least corner blockers, so he can not climb out? I worry he may squirm out the top, even with the lid down.

The two lengths of wood I have on it are more than twice the height of my turtle lol. Plus he's usually a lot more prone to digging than climbing. Also the mesh I have on it filters some sun but let's more than enough sun in.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, just be warned Russians are wonderful climbers (and then escape artists)