New outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

noved32

5 Year Member
So i encouraged (made) my hubby to make me and Bob our Russian a outdoor enclosure since the kiddy pool just wasn't good enough and the dogs kept walking in his dirt!! Anyways new home is going to be 6ft long by 3ft wide and about two feet of organic soil and that coconut fiber stuff.. Then he will have about 8 in walls... Once we have that made next week we will work on a top (I won't be leaving him out over night until I have a top) I can't wait to post pics.. Would like all ideas comments and suggestions to make it nice for him... :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Add a couple hides a water bowl and some plants and it will be paradise. I look forward to ur pics :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds very promising! Do you mean 8" above the substrate? Russians are very good climbers, so makes sure that he can't climb out, especially in the corners. Once you have the lid it won't be an escape risk, but it is wise to have the sides above the substrate high enough so they can't get a glimpse, or they do scrabble at the sides.

The length and width sound great.

noved32

5 Year Member
Ya I will have it at least 8 in high so he can't see or get out .. That was part of the pool problem we used. Huge kiddie pool that would give him lots of room but he kept trying to get out and walking around edge.. I swear it was really ticking him off that he couldn't get out.. Lol

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
It doesn't matter what kind of enclosure or how high you build it... They're going to constantly try to find ways to get out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just a reminder. The comment about the dogs in his dirt is why I need to remind. Do not ever leave dogs around a tortoise with out 100% supervision. We have had too many bad tortoise attacked by the family dog post already. Every dog, no matter the training, or size will eventually attack or try to play/chew toy a tortoise. Damage no matter the size of dog. The last story, just happened on the 4 of july. Blind dog broke through gate and got the tort.:(. Luckily the tort is doing good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.