New outdoor garden question

tortgirl123

So every spring my dad makes a garden in a bricked off area in my backyard. This year he doesn't want to. So of course I had to ask if we could make an out door enclosure/garden. I have some seeds ( mustard seeds, chicory seeds, orchard grass, and Arizona Tortoise Compounds flower mix. All I got from Arizona Tortoise Compound )
I guess what I'm trying to ask is any ideas for a set up?
Should I have a hide
Should I make this a full time enclosure? Note that the area kind of gets shaded by my house sometimes, if that effects temps.
Since were just getting into spring it's still a bit chilly at night here in north Texas, should I leave my tort out all night?
Thanks! Any pics would be greatly appreciated! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
How Chilly and what species of tortoise? :rolleyes:

tortgirl123

Is gets pretty cold in the early morning and night. I have a hatchling ibera greek

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
a hatchling is too young to be left out all day, let alone all night. a couple hours a day will be perfect. you always need a hide (or 3) for shade and to make your tort feel more secure. you need a shallow water dish, a terra cotta saucer works great and i would definitely buy some small plants from a gardening store like home depot for the tort to hide under and use for shade. you can plant the seeds you have as well throughout the enclosure. i would also cover the top with metal mesh because many predators, like hawks, cats and raccoons, would love to eat your baby. good luck!