New Owner - Enclosure troubles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDuPre

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!

I am a new owner of a Red Footed Tortoise, Tortellini. I currently have the little guy/girl in a 20 gallon aquarium. After doing A LOT of research I keep reading that the glass aquarium's are not good because the keep too much heat in. The problem I am running into is that I cannot keep the aquarium warm enough! According to my newest thermometer (yes I got another one because I thought the first one was broken) I am averaging 78 degrees. This is too cool for a red foot. I have the two recommended lights directly on top of the mesh aquarium top. A 60 watt repto glow (kinda a blue color bulb) and then another bulb for uvb (I think). I cannot remember the specifics right now, I accidentally threw away the boxes!

I am looking to upgrade the enclosure to something more Tort friendly. However, I do wish to keep a semi-clear front; I am a teacher and having the tortoise in the classroom is a great teaching assistant! Please do not attack me for having a tortoise as a classroom pet, I have done a lot of research and did not enter into this un-educated. I continue to do my research and that is why I am here, for help to ensure that my little one gets the best possible care. Tortellini is a loved member of my classroom and my students learn so much from having him. We have been rigorously documenting his diet, growth, and temperature - bringing me here to help find a better way to regulate it. Has anyone had any success with a heat mat under the tank? I am scared this may burn him. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, DDuPre!

If your aquarium is big enough for your tortoise's size, then your aquarium is fine. You just need to hang the lights and remove the mesh top, then cover or partially cover it. I cover the whole thing with aluminum foil, including the lights.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Be sure the UVB you are using is not the coil type, bad for eyes. The 20 gallon is good if you have a hatchling otherwise you should upgrade for a larger enclosure. Some have used the under aquarium heaters, however, if you cover it like emysemys said, you should be fine with heat and the higher humidity they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.