New owner of large sulcatas

Phil B

Location (City and/or State)
Acton c
Good afternoon,
My name is Phil, I am a new owner of 2 large sulcata tortoises. I have a few questions:1st, how often do you feed them hay or do you leave it out for them to eat when they want. 2nd, how can you tell their sex. Lastly, how can you figure out how old they are, one is about 70lbs, two feet long and one foot long.
Thank you..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You can feed them hay daily and then add to it other foods. It should be a variety fed not just a single or couple items.
They not be housed together, tortoises should never be housed in pairs
A male will have a concaved bottom shell at around 10-15 inches or so as long as they have been raised properly and maturity not delayed. If these two have been housed together their whole life, then it's likely the smaller one was bullied and slower to mature.There is no 100 way to tell age. Specially if they weren't raised correctly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good afternoon,
My name is Phil, I am a new owner of 2 large sulcata tortoises. I have a few questions:1st, how often do you feed them hay or do you leave it out for them to eat when they want. 2nd, how can you tell their sex. Lastly, how can you figure out how old they are, one is about 70lbs, two feet long and one foot long.
Thank you..
Hi Phil. I'm just south of you in SCV.

Leave hay out for them at all times. Use orchard grass hay from Fox Feed. Bermuda hay is good too. Add in lavatera leaves and flowers, spineless opuntia pads, mulberry and grape leaves, and lots and lots of weeds like mallow, clover, dandelion, broadleaf plantain, and sow-thistle.

Post pictures of their plastrons and we can sex them for you. Males have large tails and females have tiny little nubs.
Definitely separate them ASAP. They should never live in pairs.

Keep them warm year round. Here are two ways to do it that work great in our climate:

And I let them burrow in summer to escape the terrible heat.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome! Pictures would be good.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
welcome I cannot imagine that you jumped right in and got 2 GIANT tortoises. Generally one would get a baby and raised it that way. I am figuring this was some kind of a rescue. They must be separated immediately. I'm sure if you give the smaller one special attention I'm sure it will be ok. I'm guessing Tom will help you. I keep Sulcata in the PNW...

Phil B

Acton c
You can feed them hay daily and then add to it other foods. It should be a variety fed not just a single or couple items.
They not be housed together, tortoises should never be housed in pairs
A male will have a concaved bottom shell at around 10-15 inches or so as long as they have been raised properly and maturity not delayed. If these two have been housed together their whole life, then it's likely the smaller one was bullied and slower to mature.There is no 100 way to tell age. Specially if they weren't raised correctly.
Thank you
Hi Phil. I'm just south of you in SCV.

Leave hay out for them at all times. Use orchard grass hay from Fox Feed. Bermuda hay is good too. Add in lavatera leaves and flowers, spineless opuntia pads, mulberry and grape leaves, and lots and lots of weeds like mallow, clover, dandelion, broadleaf plantain, and sow-thistle.

Post pictures of their plastrons and we can sex them for you. Males have large tails and females have tiny little nubs.
Definitely separate them ASAP. They should never live in pairs.

Keep them warm year round. Here are two ways to do it that work great in our climate:

And I let them burrow in summer to escape the terrible heat.
Thank you for the information Tom,
So I got these from a rescue that had closed . When we picked them up they were together, so I assumed they were ok to be placed together. I don't see them fight at all in their box or when they are out.

Attachments

• 20240107_114857.jpg
    20240107_114857.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240107_114846.jpg
    20240107_114846.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240115_152011.jpg
    20240115_152011.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Good afternoon,
Thank you..
You need to make a decision fast on "Can I and am I willing to spend lots of time and money on Tortoises" You have jumped into a timely and expensive hobby, is this what you want. Example: do you visit family on the Holidays? not anymore. Do you go on vacations? not anymore. These things can not be done without alot of planning and ANOTHER person who cares just as much and you can trust to take care of them. I wish you the best of luck and you ARE in the right place if this is an endeavor you would like to go on. But please don't make these poor souls suffer anymore than it sounds like they have. Either do it right or find a FOREVER home for them.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thank you

Thank you for the information Tom,
So I got these from a rescue that had closed . When we picked them up they were together, so I assumed they were ok to be placed together. I don't see them fight at all in their box or when they are out.
Just cause you don't see it does not mean it isn't happening. Remember your not a tortoise expert so you have no idea what aggressive behavior is. Not putting you down just stating reality of the situation. I am just north of you.

Phil B

Acton c
You need to make a decision fast on "Can I and am I willing to spend lots of time and money on Tortoises" You have jumped into a timely and expensive hobby, is this what you want. Example: do you visit family on the Holidays? not anymore. Do you go on vacations? not anymore. These things can not be done without alot of planning and ANOTHER person who cares just as much and you can trust to take care of them. I wish you the best of luck and you ARE in the right place if this is an endeavor you would like to go on. But please don't make these poor souls suffer anymore than it sounds like they have. Either do it right or find a FOREVER home for them.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Sounds like you want to try this endeavor. Just remember a farm is something completely different than a tortoise. There are so many suffering tortoises on FARMS. For some reason Farmers think they're tortoise experts too. I do not mean to be mean just honest. 1st ... These torts are from Africa not USA. 2nd... Sulcata tortoises allowed to let their body temp get below 80 degrees is CRUEL PUNISHMENT. 3rd... I didn't notice any crops on your FARM, so you will be buying vegetables at a rate you've never imagined before. HAY or Alfalfa is not a great food. With Tortoises you don't just throw in a flake like you would for a cow, horse. Everyday you need to be the tort cook and prepare meals for them. 4th... You are about to become a weatherman, meaning you will have to keep track of the weather and do whatever needs to be done to ensure COMFORT for these two. @Tom is 1 of the most knowledgeable people there is on torts. Don't get hurt feelings and listen to learn.

I SINCERELY wish you the best for the comfort of these fantastic beings. I look forward to hearing how they are and learn from your experiences too. so WELCOME Phil B.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a small farm, so I know about cost and time. They are in a large pen that I can separate and build a second box.
That's good, cuz that's what you need to do, separate them. There is many many more years of sulcata and tortoise knowledge on here than you and I both have. We don't suggest separating them because it's not needed. We would all love to be able to keep pairs of tortoises together. There is a reason we say what we do and the proof is from many years of members experience.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you want to try this endeavor. Just remember a farm is something completely different than a tortoise. There are so many suffering tortoises on FARMS. For some reason Farmers think they're tortoise experts too. I do not mean to be mean just honest. 1st ... These torts are from Africa not USA. 2nd... Sulcata tortoises allowed to let their body temp get below 80 degrees is CRUEL PUNISHMENT. 3rd... I didn't notice any crops on your FARM, so you will be buying vegetables at a rate you've never imagined before. HAY or Alfalfa is not a great food. With Tortoises you don't just throw in a flake like you would for a cow, horse. Everyday you need to be the tort cook and prepare meals for them. 4th... You are about to become a weatherman, meaning you will have to keep track of the weather and do whatever needs to be done to ensure COMFORT for these two. @Tom is 1 of the most knowledgeable people there is on torts. Don't get hurt feelings and listen to learn.

I SINCERELY wish you the best for the comfort of these fantastic beings. I look forward to hearing how they are and learn from your experiences too. so WELCOME Phil B.
Sorry, but hay, is a great food for them. Not the only food though that should be fed. Orchard hay is the best one to use.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
That's good, cuz that's what you need to do, separate them. There is many many more years of sulcata and tortoise knowledge on here than you and I both have. We don't suggest separating them because it's not needed. We would all love to be able to keep pairs of tortoises together. There is a reason we say what we do and the proof is from many years of members experience.
Well said and said well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a small farm, so I know about cost and time. They are in a large pen that I can separate and build a second box.
Nothing wrong with two boxes, but the link above shows how to do one box that is separated inside for two torts. More efficient and easier on the electric bill than heating two separate boxes.

The main thing is to get them separated ASAP. Its not about obvious outward combat, though that is likely given that you have two males. Its about the chronic stress of each of them not wanting the other in their territory, and no way for either of them to get out of the other one's territory.

The other important detail is to keep them both WARM 24/7. This species comes from a tropical region where they live underground during the dry season. Ground temps all year long there are 80-85, and the daily high is around 100 all year long. Essentially, what they need is our summer all year long, but with warmer nights than we have in summer. You need to keep their night houses, at ground level where they are resting, at 80 or higher al year long.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Sorry, but hay, is a great food for them. Not the only food though that should be fed. Orchard hay is the best one to use.
On a FARM hay is fed everyday to FARM animals. A Sulcata is not a FARM animal. Hay is great if it's part of a wide variety of foods. Hay is Alfalfa, Orchard Grass is that Orchard Grass.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
On a FARM hay is fed everyday to FARM animals. A Sulcata is not a FARM animal. Hay is great if it's part of a wide variety of foods.
Hay can be fed every day to a sulcata. But should not be the only thing fed, as I already stated. Leaves, cactus, weeds, etc should be added. But yes, hay can be fed every day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree. Grass hay for adult sulcatas, SA leopards, and the island giants is a superb food. And throwing down a flake is exactly how I feed them.

Sorry @EppsDynasty You said 99 great things, and I only disagree with this one thing.

Funny, we call alfalfa "alfalfa hay" and we call Bermuda, teff, and orchard grass hay, "grass hay".

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Hay can be fed every day to a sulcata. But should not be the only thing fed, as I already stated. Leaves, cactus, weeds, etc should be added. But yes, hay can be fed every day.
Like you said not alone. I have yet to see a tort eat hay with nothing else and be healthy. I have yet to see a tort eat what is needed if fed hay. Stalks, Stems there is alot that they will not eat. There is only some they will eat. Again in my infancy of tort care but not a fan of HAY. On farms hay is given as a end all food, not as a part of a complete diet.
Not sure how many Feed Stores there are in Chicago but here they're every where. You can go to 2 feed stores a block apart and buy a bail of hay. The 2 bails will be quite different in content. EXAMPLE: The last 2 or 3 cuts on an Alfalfa field will be higher in "WEEDS" than Alfalfa. As other Grasses (Weeds) start to grow within the field they are cut and bailed as well as the Alfalfa.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
I agree. Grass hay for adult sulcatas, SA leopards, and the island giants is a superb food. And throwing down a flake is exactly how I feed them.

Sorry @EppsDynasty You said 99 great things, and I only disagree with this one thing.

Funny, we call alfalfa "alfalfa hay" and we call Bermuda, teff, and orchard grass hay, "grass hay".
This 1 thing really gets me. When you throw down a flake do you leave them alone for the day with no other food? ......... When ever someone new ask about feeding hay and has a farm what they USUALLY mean is that. Feed a flake and walk away. I agree Hay is a good PART of a Land Giants Diet. I could be wrong in this situation, maybe it's only a part of the diet, but thats not what was asked. It brings up visions of a large sulcata on a FARM in a Horse pen with a flake of hay on the ground. Sorry.