new owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

titch

5 Year Member
Hi my name is gareth. From south Wales UK. I picked up my Herman tortoise yesterday and he seems to be settling in very well.
I have done alot of research into there requirements but still very confused on what is best to feed them during winter months, as there isn't anything growing in the garden.
What Veg would be best for them? As alot of sites seem to contradict each other on what to feed and not to feed, this as left me not knowing what to do for the best.
If anyone could help it would be appreciated.
Thanks

titch

5 Year Member
Thanks i forgot to ask aswell about worming. is it only if tortoise lives outside or is it necessary no matter what? Thanks for welcomes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome.
In the UK they have "rocket" mix, right? That's a good way to get some winter variety. Endive and escarole are two of my favorite store bought foods, but a little of everything is good.

The worming thing is debatable and controversial. Some never do it. Others do it regularly. Both groups generally have healthy tortoises and good results.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome from Kent :)

The Tortoise Table website's plant database is brilliant for checking what you can feed. It has weeds, garden plants and stuff you can buy in the supermarkets. Http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Waitrose,sainsbury and other supermarkets sell 'living lettuce' for around £1 a tray that makes a great browse for torts.

The shelled warriors online shop sells various dried weeds http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk

You can get dried dandelions in the rabbit food section of pet shops too - spray with water before feeding.

Plantain, a weed, grows readily even in winter. Joe loves it :)

The brands of pellets we can get are different to those in the US. I use komodo fruit and flower to supplement the fresh and dried food in winter.

titch

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for your help and welcomes. Both i and titch appreciate it. No doubt ill be asking for more help on other matters in the future so Its nice to know help is out there with so many tortoise lovers. Im gonna try and get some pics uploaded soon when I've worked it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.