New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

griefold

5 Year Member
Just picked up my Sulcata yesterday and it is doing fine in its new enclosure today. Since we had to spend 6 hours round trip to pick up Alex, we soaked it on the way home for a short time to make sure that it was hydrated. Everyone need to remember to soak their young torts or they are going to run the risk of problems. This is the second one we had to get, the first did not survive the shipping process due to UPS refusing to deliver in the morning to my house and not allowing me to get to the delivery truck early. So sad, yet now we are happy with our new family member. For those of you out to get a new family member remember to soak them, do not rely on shipping companies of any kind if you can avoid it, and make sure you have the correct type of enclosure with the correct micro climate for them. My dealer has gone out of their way to make sure I was ready for my new child :D (all my animals are my children).

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. I'm so glad you have a safe baby now. Sorry to hear of the horror story with the first tort. Enjoy your new baby.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your first baby. Hopefully things are going great with the new one. We have many helpful threads in the "important threads" section that is at the top of the sulcata section.

griefold

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the support. I am glad to report that my new child :) Alex is doing fine and being very much a pain at times. What infant is not a pain at times. I am also taking Alex to school with me during the week for my students to see and help take care of. They love Alex and were the ones to come up with the name. I am going to ask some questions in here and hope that I could get some good answers that will help. I am trying to find a good heat source that will not cook Alex or make it too hot for my containers. I am using a 54 gallon plastic container for Alex at home with a 150 watt UVB/ Heat bulb that I bought at the pet store. The temp is staying very consistant, but I want to make sure that this is good. My breeder suggested all of this and that is good, but there is no such thing as too much information. I am also wanting to find out if a ceramic heater that I am reading about is good. I am taking Alex with me during the day and want to keep him warm and comfortable as much as possible. I am taking him since I am gone almost all day long and my wife is too. I worry about him tipping over as well as the classroom care I mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.