New Pics of my baby Pardalis Pardalis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandj425

5 Year Member
Purdy eating youtube video:cool:
Someone I chatted with asked if I would posted updated pics so had some fun tonight grabbing these :) This little one is such a joy to watch eat. I gave some romaine leaves to take the pics as she opens her mouth wide and cute while eating it. The video shows that. Her usually food though is cut up and mixed with small cut hay or mixed with mushy tortoise pellets that stick well to the romaine. I hate giving only romaine but so far I have had her a month and she is extremely picky on this. I love spring mix for salads but she won't touch it, ugh. So am going to grow some grasses and dandelions(fast growers and spring is coming) so hopefully more variety in next few months.
5BE74151.jpg
E330C54F.jpg

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Omggg! So cute! Congratulations on the baby! Can I ask who you got it from?

dandj425

5 Year Member
Thanks! Purdy came from James at Woody's Reptiles. So far she(we hope) has been very healthy and happy despite the picky eating thing. My water turtles will try to eat anything and I mean anything! We have to be careful with those two so with Purdy it can be frustrating having the opposite attitude, ya know?! But we have many many years to sort out those details I guess, lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, she's a bold aggressive good eater. Try chopping small the other greens she doesn't want to eat, along with the romaine and spritz with water and mix in with soaked mazuri or what ever kind you use. She has to then eat the others, to get the romaine. The water helps make it all stick together. Then as she gets used to eating more of the others, use less and less of the romaine. Not that romaine can't be fed, just a big variety is better of course. They get less picky as the get older. Mine did anyway.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Purdy is very purdy! Fab pics! Congrats on your lil baby. Cuteness.
I use small garden shears (the ones with a spring so it bounces right back when you cut) to chop-chop everything really small, and mix. Really helps to get them to eat the variety they need. Don't forget, hot-humid-hydrated, like Tom's threads explain.

dandj425

5 Year Member
UPDATE-> went to my special odd pet vet, Purdy looks well and is 70grams. Says I must make sure to get her moved away from lettuce(no more than 50/50) and gave her the first of 2 panacur(?) doses. He says he is more concerned about diet and quick growth that will lead to pyramiding. Showed him my setup(see below) and says looks good and the cuttlebone will help with her beak health.
8AAE3B9B.jpg
Purdy sleeping in her hay zone..
A22710E7.jpg
Purdy's tote home(106qt sterilite)
9155B74E.jpg
Inside Purdy's tote home, using powersun mvb and today picked up 100wt CHE since couldn't get regular temps above low 70's, so far working...

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Looking good. So cute.
I don't get the Panacur. Such a little tortoise, captive bred, would have worms? Isn't that too much for a little baby? Did the little one have them, for sure? Just wondering. I have been sprinkling ground up pumpkin seeds/raw unsalted pepitas on my tortoises food every couple of days. I rinse my greens or weeds and the wet helps it stick so no choice but to eat, as a hopeful preventative measure. Purdy is going to be beeeeeeautiful ... can't wait to see the patterns grow!

dandj425

5 Year Member
Thank you BeeBee, we just adore this little one! Another baby I guess from this hatching was said to have had pinworms by that owner, when I talked to my vet about it he said it can be common and he had given my other reptiles this as a preventative as well in the past when I acquired them. Our beardie my daughter adopted recently is setup for a second dose too. He said it was easier to give it to her now as a youngling than older. And he knows she will unlikely get infected in the future with my care so just in case she came with anything. I think I explained that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.