New Pics of Ormond - Almost 5 Months old now :)

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Just want to share some pictures of my little guy, Ormond. He is almost 5 months old - hatched March 25, 2014. We were gone for 10 days and my Mom took good care of him. 022.JPG 024.JPG 025.JPG 022.JPG 024.JPG 025.JPG 040.JPG 047.JPG

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Absolutely adorable...may I ask, have you tried to add some earth type substrate to part of the enclosure? I ask only because torts need firm footing to get appropriate muscle development...the substrate looks like it is not a hard firm wiggle free surface...I only ask because it appears the chunks are not set in firmly and addition and packing in of earthen substrate would offer that....

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thanks Ascott :) Yes I have coco coir but I'm really nervous to use it again because it was in his eyes last time and I don't know if it contributed to his eye infection. But my plans are when he is a little bigger to mix the coconut husks with the coconut soil. He can't move very fast on the husk and its making me a little worried about his legs. but the eye infection was super scary. Got between a rock and a hard place. :(

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks Ascott :) Yes I have coco coir but I'm really nervous to use it again because it was in his eyes last time and I don't know if it contributed to his eye infection. But my plans are when he is a little bigger to mix the coconut husks with the coconut soil. He can't move very fast on the husk and its making me a little worried about his legs. but the eye infection was super scary. Got between a rock and a hard place. :(
Cute little guy! Sorry to hear about his eye infection. I tend to agree with @ascott in that the lack of traction might cause issues.

My guys lived on bark and coir before I got them. Their legs were underdeveloped and they couldn't stand. They held their legs straight out and pushed, as if swimming. It took a few days for them to begin using their legs properly on moist, packed, topsoil-peat substrate.

May, Aussies, & THBs
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
begin using their legs properly on moist, packed, topsoil-peat substrate.

These are such key words....moist and packed. You see, if the tortoise is not allowed to develop correctly while they are young, then the negative issues will make middle to adult age a real trial...I understand your concerns...you can try to offset those by assuring that you moisten and strongly pack down the substrate....now, understand---a tortoise is an earth dwelling/thriving critter.....if you want something that is a little less worrisome, please do try peat moss...not the long stringy stuff but the finely processed peat moss....moisten it and once it has absorbed the water, take your hand or a flat object (like a broken off piece of slate) and firmly press it down(relatively hard) until you have compressed all of the soil...and after you have added some moisture a few times and repeated the process, you will find you have a good base..then add some decomposers (like peel bugs and nightcrawlers) to aid you in keeping the soil healthy....you can also be certain to soak the tortoise as well as gently flush the head and eye area daily...this will offer some moisture as well as sweep away any loose substrate....again, I am only offering some suggestions her and am in NO way trying to tell you what to do...okay.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thank you so much Ascott, I really appreciate all the information. Trust me I can use the help :)
One of the problems is that I have a lot of allergies and coconut husk/coir is the one thing that doesn't bother me at all. What if I packed the coir really tightly down with the husks? Do you think that would work?

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Your little one is SO CUTE. Just looking at him I can tell he has quite the personality.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I've used purchased organic potting soil and just plain dirt from our yard (that I KNEW had no pesticides or chemicals in it) for my Hermann's enclosure.

He is a real cutie, for sure! :)

tellablue

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
What a beautiful baby! I also use a combination of coco husk and ground coconut. The breeder I got mine from recommended mulch from the hardware store, which I used until I saw bugs crawling in it (the hardware store kept it outside). I use the husk that you have to soak to expand (which helps to maintain moisture for a week or so, then I spray it with a misting bottle and toss it when it dries). Also, I have rocks and other things for him to climb on. I only have a small amount of the ground coconut into enclosure because my tortoise doesn't burrow in it, but it is a nice flat surface for his food dish.

Lady Thompson

5 Year Member
Thanks all :)
I have now given Ormond coconut coir, well it is called Plantation Soil here in Canada. I put it on top of half of the husks to see what he thinks. I packed it down really firmly and he was cruising around yesterday on it. He is so cute! Of course, he is still sleeping. He doesn't wake up until 11 or 12. So lazy. haha