New pics of the new ponds

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
Gerards said:
No secrets, just flow throughs and complete water changes every once in awhile. Everyday water changes on all non breeding animals.

No secrets, just flow throughs and complete water changes every once in awhile. Everyday water changes on all non breeding animals.

How is a flow through set up? I am just amazed at your set up. I am planning for a pond this summer and would love to do it with out filters!!

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Mike, they're from South Dakota, a company called, BarnWorld.

A flow through is just water flowing in and out of the pond, not all the time, but a few hours a day. The ponds have overflow drains and their own water feed. You just run the water in them and the overflow keeps it at what ever depth you want. A few hours of trickling in changes the water in the tub with no work by you, it's very effective in warm weather. In cold weather, you crank the water flow up and it will keep the water from getting to cold, because the water comes from the ground at 74 degrees year round. Every once in awhile you can unscrew the overflow and let the tub drain completely drain and remove the sediment build up, or vacuum the bottom like a pool. I prefer to drain them every couple months and give everyone a once over. We just do it little by little so you never have to do everything at once, just a slow trickle of work, like the flow throughs. Lol!

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Anthony P said:
We need to get video footage of these tank in action G! Something like that will go over very well on YouTube :)

I miss your posts. Happy to see these projects coming together well!

When it's all done and not looking like a construction zone, maybe we can do a little something.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Where does the water end up? It seems like quite a waste. We're in the middle of the worst drought we've had in many years, and I can't imagine all that water just running down the drain.

(I'm not being picky...I really want to know)

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Yvonne G said:
Where does the water end up? It seems like quite a waste. We're in the middle of the worst drought we've had in many years, and I can't imagine all that water just running down the drain.

(I'm not being picky...I really want to know)

We don't use city water, and we don't have water issues here. The water is really close to the ground here, the drain filters back thought the lime stone and goes right back to where it came from.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're so lucky! The pipes in my well go down to 150' and the table is getting very close to that depth now.

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Wow with no filtration system, that's a lot of water to use per day. But you are so lucky to have infinite water source.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Yellow Turtle said:
Wow with no filtration system, that's a lot of water to use per day. But you are so lucky to have infinite water source.

It's not all the time, evaporation probably waste more water than anything else.