New pig pad, need advise on temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Finally got Lanas pig pad hooked up today. I am trying to adjust the temps. Her room temp is 75* under her UVA/UVB light it is 85* the heat pad when I check it with the temp gun is 110* is that to hot? I can turn it down some more. Please advise!!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Missy:

I don't know what type rheostat you have with your Pig Blanket, so I can't give you exact directions. Mine has a dial from 1 to 9. When I'm first setting it up I turn it all the way up to 9. This is to give the pad a jump start. After about an hour I'll dial it down to 5 and go from there. I test the temp after an hour and if its not right I make the adjustment accordingly. It takes a while to get it set up the first time you use it, but once you have it, its pretty easy to keep it where you want it.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
The one I have just has low and high :( I started it at high and I thought it was way to hot. I turned it down almost to low and it feels real warm and like I said when I point the temp gun on it it says 110. I don't want to cook her. I can keep my hand on it and it does not feel like I am going to get burned but I just don't know. GRRRR this is not what I expected. What is your thoughts?????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what brand unit you have. Mine is from Osborne Industries and the controller is the F911. I mistakenly bought the cheaper controller (the one that goes from low to high on the dial) and found that it can't maintain correct temp of the pad. Its a piece of junk and a waste of $$.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
emysemys said:
I don't know what brand unit you have. Mine is from Osborne Industries and the controller is the F911. I mistakenly bought the cheaper controller (the one that goes from low to high on the dial) and found that it can't maintain correct temp of the pad. Its a piece of junk and a waste of $$.

Yvonne I think you mean that you bought the 300 from Osborne not the 911. The 911 has 1-10 and the 300 goes from low to high. I'm sad now as I just ordered this one as a combo with the pig blanket. If it doesn't work right I'll just send it back and get the 911 I guess. :(

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Oh great that is the one I have from Osborne. It came as a package deal and I had no idea that it sucked.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
Yvonne I think you mean that you bought the 300 from Osborne not the 911. The 911 has 1-10 and the 300 goes from low to high. I'm sad now as I just ordered this one as a combo with the pig blanket. If it doesn't work right I'll just send it back and get the 911 I guess. :(

I've always bought the F911, but I was feeling a little pinched for cash and needed another controller, so I bought the 300. Like you, I found out it really doesn't do the job.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Missy said:
Oh great that is the one I have from Osborne. It came as a package deal and I had no idea that it sucked.

I see that my full post didn't actually post. :( Anyway Missy I called and was able to stop and reorder my pig blanket with the 911. I asked Vicky (she's their sales manager) if you guys could return yours because you say they aren't working right and she says as long as they aren't used they can be returned. I know that you set yours up but you say it isn't working right so I'd give her a call and find out what they can do for you. She did say that they had a restocking fee, but she also knows that this one doesn't work as well as the 911. I also gave her this website since they sell pig blankets and some of us order from them. :D She was very helpful and seemed very nice to speak with over the phone. Here's their phone number (785) 346-2192. I would have your order number ready too, but she found mine just with my name. Mention that you're with Tortoise Forum and that I had called today and mentioned that you had bought a 300 and weren't happy with it. :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks Candy, I am calling tomorrow. I am glad you stopped your order.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Just checking in Missy to see if they helped you or not? Are they going to exchange it for you? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.