New poster w Russian tort (and oft-asked question to ask again, just to be sure!)

IDigGraves94

Greetings, All!

I'm new to the forum but just about 2 years into owning my tortoise, Chekhov. I've seen a lot of posts about keeping tortoises solitary, so forgive me for asking the redundant question: are tortoises really OK if they don't ever mate? Chekhov is about 2 years old now, and I know he'd be "solitary" in the wild, but surely he would mate at some point? I feel bad for the little guy if he needs some lovin'. :<3: Any insight appreciated!

Thanks,

IDG94

Chekhov -valentine's day.jpg <--This is Chekhov

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello to you and Chekhov, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Tortoises don't need friends, or lovers.
They are very happy on their own.
Though you may find, if he's a he, that he flashes his weapon sometimes and might take an interest in inanimate objects.

IDigGraves94

He does curl his tail to the side, so I think he's a he (is that right?)

Hello to you and Chekhov, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Tortoises don't need friends, or lovers.
They are very happy on their own.
Though you may find, if he's a he, that he flashes his weapon sometimes and might take an interest in inanimate objects.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are perfectly happy all alone. They are not social animals and they do not need to breed. In fact breeding can cause quite a lot of stress and sometimes injury.

I encourage everyone to breed russians, but it is an involved process and not without some risk. Get into it and learn more about how to do it right if it interests you, but your tortoise does not "need" it in any way.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Probably, but an underside view of that area would help to be sure if you could post it.