New Red Foot tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi I'm a new red foot owner! I've just bought a red foot (not sure what type? But not bothered because he/she is gorgeous) as you can see by the picture. I've named him Alan and was told he is about a year old by the reptile shop I bought him from. He's settled in lovely to his home which due to the UK being cooler and not humid he is in a vivarium. I keep his UVB lighting, humidity and temps as suggested for RFs. The hot weather we've been having, I've taken him out and sat with him for 10minutes. He is just starting to walk about outside now. He is eating 70%greens 30% fruit and I feed him chicken once a week. Also, I've been sprinkling his food with calcium + D3. Can I ask anyone if I need to give him a multi vitamin? I might need help as I go a long with Alan because I want him to have a happy life :)

Attachments

• IMG_0766[1].JPG
    IMG_0766[1].JPG
    659.5 KB · Views: 65

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I offer mine a very small amount of multivitamins as part of a supplement mix I make up. I crunch up a few cubes of compressed shredded hay, like that sold for rabbits and such. I add a teaspoon or so of calcium powder to about a loose cup of mix, and then crush a human multi-vitamin table to mix in.

I add a pinch of the mix to a meal once a week, or to any meal that I do not think is otherwise decently balanced.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Thanks sounds i nice tempting mix! Can red foots eat hay then?Have you tried any of the Exo-terra multivitamin powder? I read it had to be phosphorus free and this one is but I wasn't sure if red foots should have it or not.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Thanks aldabraman! If that's your a picture of your tortoise it is massive! I can't wait to see how big Alan grows. He's only 3 inches at the moment so he's got a long way to go!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Welcome! Glad you have joined us. You have a pretty one there. :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Alan RF said:
Thanks sounds i nice tempting mix! Can red foots eat hay then?Have you tried any of the Exo-terra multivitamin powder? I read it had to be phosphorus free and this one is but I wasn't sure if red foots should have it or not.

My hay is almost like parsley flakes, so they eat it OK- they almost never do otherwise. Don't worry about small amounts of phosphorous- it is a vital nutrient they need to stay alive. I personally just use human vitamins I get online in bulk- cheaper and better quality assurance.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
bobbymoore said:

Thanks bobbymoore!

Jacqui said:
Welcome! Glad you have joined us. You have a pretty one there. :)

Thanks jacqui! He is really adorable! I don't know what it is but everything about him I love :)

terryo said:
Welcome to the forum. I think you're doing great so far.

Cheers Terry's that's good to know! Like everyone you just want everything to go smoothly and give them the best home and life you can ;)

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Alan RF said:
Hi I'm a new red foot owner! I've just bought a red foot (not sure what type? But not bothered because he/she is gorgeous) as you can see by the picture. I've named him Alan and was told he is about a year old by the reptile shop I bought him from. He's settled in lovely to his home which due to the UK being cooler and not humid he is in a vivarium. I keep his UVB lighting, humidity and temps as suggested for RFs. The hot weather we've been having, I've taken him out and sat with him for 10minutes. He is just starting to walk about outside now. He is eating 70%greens 30% fruit and I feed him chicken once a week. Also, I've been sprinkling his food with calcium + D3. Can I ask anyone if I need to give him a multi vitamin? I might need help as I go a long with Alan because I want him to have a happy life :)

he's beautiful!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.