New rescue help!

Sinisterreef93

Location (City and/or State)
Albertville, AL
Neighbors were going to set a tub with a young (Sulcata?) in it on the side of the road because “their 8yo was not caring for it and they didn’t want to” so I took it. It has never had uvb or heat lamps, only a led house light bulb. They eyes were closed and would not open at all for them for the past 2 weeks. after soaking for 20 minutes they finally opened and he is trying to move around a little. He is not eating and it almost looks like his mouth is sealed…? What do I need to do to give this little one a chance? It’s my first tortoise so I’m learning as I go. I picked up a basking/ heat bulb and a t5 uvb bulb with fixture for it and a better enclosure than what’s pictured. He is super small. Please help….

Attachments

• CC4CC1BC-0BA4-4122-B262-0B0DB2565301.jpeg
    CC4CC1BC-0BA4-4122-B262-0B0DB2565301.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 9244D447-8BEE-4F4A-8B41-EE3DC3A2447C.jpeg
    9244D447-8BEE-4F4A-8B41-EE3DC3A2447C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • DE8CCA09-A18A-49ED-AB5A-06F0064209B1.jpeg
    DE8CCA09-A18A-49ED-AB5A-06F0064209B1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 79EE3889-0420-4D87-B30F-A2F6A7273124.jpeg
    79EE3889-0420-4D87-B30F-A2F6A7273124.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • E0B08FA7-3DB3-41CB-BAE2-0B7C59D7796F.jpeg
    E0B08FA7-3DB3-41CB-BAE2-0B7C59D7796F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

nicoleann2214

NY
I would suggest you buy terra cotta dishes for the water and food. Those types of dishes you have aren’t good especially for a baby

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neighbors were going to set a tub with a young (Sulcata?) in it on the side of the road because “their 8yo was not caring for it and they didn’t want to” so I took it. It has never had uvb or heat lamps, only a led house light bulb. They eyes were closed and would not open at all for them for the past 2 weeks. after soaking for 20 minutes they finally opened and he is trying to move around a little. He is not eating and it almost looks like his mouth is sealed…? What do I need to do to give this little one a chance? It’s my first tortoise so I’m learning as I go. I picked up a basking/ heat bulb and a t5 uvb bulb with fixture for it and a better enclosure than what’s pictured. He is super small. Please help….
Here is the correct care info. Follow this and hope for the best:

Sinisterreef93

Albertville, AL
Here is the correct care info. Follow this and hope for the best:
Thank you! This is perfect!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! I can't believe they were just going to 'dump' that poor baby! Thank goodness you were around to rescue it.

To start, babies need to be kept at 80-85F degrees all the time, day and night. And it helps them to grow smoothly if you can set them up in a covered enclosure - covered with the lights inside. Then you moisten the substrate and the baby now lives in a warm, humid environment, like what happens in Africa when they hatch out during the monsoon season.

Sinisterreef93

Albertville, AL
You are welcome! Please feel free to ask all your questions. We are all here to talk torts. We do our best to help people miss the common pitfalls and have healthy tortoises.
This is the enclosure I was able to get on such short notice. I know it’s not enclosed and basically impossible to hold 80% humidity. If I was to cover the wire up top with aluminum foil and cut out spots for the lights would that work? Do you have any suggestions on how to make this enclosure work for the time being? It is moving around so much more now but is still not eating. I believe I have gotten everything straightened out minus the eating, a better water dish, and humidity at this point. I know strawberries are a no go but the previous owners swore up and down that he loved them so I was trying to use some with the greens to entice eating at least this one time. Is there anything else I need to fix that you can see?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is the enclosure I was able to get on such short notice. I know it’s not enclosed and basically impossible to hold 80% humidity. If I was to cover the wire up top with aluminum foil and cut out spots for the lights would that work? Do you have any suggestions on how to make this enclosure work for the time being? It is moving around so much more now but is still not eating. I believe I have gotten everything straightened out minus the eating, a better water dish, and humidity at this point. I know strawberries are a no go but the previous owners swore up and down that he loved them so I was trying to use some with the greens to entice eating at least this one time. Is there anything else I need to fix that you can see?
Foil will help, but you still have that chimney effect, and the wooden enclosure won't hold up to the constant damp substrate for very long.

The primary reasons for maintaining high humidity are hydration and pyramiding prevention. Daily soak and a good water bowl will prevent dehydration, and there can be no pyramiding with no growth, so just do the best you can until you can get a better enclosure.

The sugar in fruit like strawberries upsets their gut flora and fauna, which can hamper appetite among other things. Best to not offer it. The tortoise is not eating because something is wrong. Usually environmental parameters. Fix those parameters, which you have, and the appetite should come back. Begging the tortoise to eat with sugary foods will not solve the problems. It will amplify them.

Sinisterreef93

Albertville, AL
Foil will help, but you still have that chimney effect, and the wooden enclosure won't hold up to the constant damp substrate for very long.

The primary reasons for maintaining high humidity are hydration and pyramiding prevention. Daily soak and a good water bowl will prevent dehydration, and there can be no pyramiding with no growth, so just do the best you can until you can get a better enclosure.

The sugar in fruit like strawberries upsets their gut flora and fauna, which can hamper appetite among other things. Best to not offer it. The tortoise is not eating because something is wrong. Usually environmental parameters. Fix those parameters, which you have, and the appetite should come back. Begging the tortoise to eat with sugary foods will not solve the problems. It will amplify them.
Alright, thank you! I will not offer them anymore and I will get everything straightened out!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome and thank you for rescuing this little tort and giving it a chance.
You'll get plenty of help here so ask as many questions as you like - there's always someone around to help.

Big Ron

Tortoise Club
Florida
He's a cutie that's for sure,glad you joined all the best to you and your little buddy??