New RF...some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I just purchased a RF baby (hatch date is in April) and just brought it home. It was house in rabbit pellets and fed pellets as well, so I know it's off to a really bad start.

My problem is the RF is listless and hiding in its shell. Should I be concerned? I thought it would be dehydrated. It is still soaking in warm water and I have the tank all set up in a big rubbermaid tub. Right now the ambient temp is about 83 F. I will keep the humidity at 60-70 %. I will also be using Mosser Lee Moss as the substrate.

Is there anything I can do to acclimate him/her? I am a bit worried :(

Attachments

• tort 035.JPG
    tort 035.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 44

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
He might be just scared and needs time to adjust. Your temp seems right. Mosser Lee is great. Low light, high humidity, a place to hide, and large dish to soak. You could put some plants in there to hold the humidity. Just bury them in their little pots. Give him a little time to acclimate to his new surroundings, and keep us posted.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Well it does sound like you've done your homework. Everything sounds good that you're doing right now. Have you offered food and if so what kind? He just might need (like Terry said) to get used to being with you and then he should come around. Do the eyes and nose look clear? Soaking is good. It's shell looks really nice. Maybe tomorrow it will let you get a look at it's face. :D

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Candy said:
Well it does sound like you've done your homework. Everything sounds good that you're doing right now. Have you offered food and if so what kind? He just might need (like Terry said) to get used to being with you and then he should come around. Do the eyes and nose look clear? Soaking is good. It's shell looks really nice. Maybe tomorrow it will let you get a look at it's face. :D

Thanks, i think it has a pretty shell too :]. I'll take more pics soon. Yeah, I hope it is just really stressed out and nothing more than that! I probably won't be offering it food until tomorrow afternoon.

If it was housed in dry conditions, would keeping the tort in tropical conditions cause more stress....it seems like a pretty big change to me.

BTW, the eyes and nostril area looks clear to me. The plastron is very clean also and no fungus :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The change in conditions might be big, but its probably a BIG relief to be out of that desert hellhole.

Good for you for saving him. Did you talk to the previous owner about how they ought to be cared for? I hope somebody does.

Here's a great care sheet from a good guy, in case you need it.
http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Like rto msaud he is prob enjoying being in a enviroemt more suited to him, I doubt it will cause him any stress, they take some time to acclimate (I love that word) to new enviroments I would offer food and see what happens, a healthy tort won't strave itself. My RF loves hibiscus flowers if you have access to any I would try those and see what happens.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Like rto msaud he is prob enjoying being in a enviroemt more suited to him, I doubt it will cause him any stress, they take some time to acclimate (I love that word) to new enviroments I would offer food and see what happens, a healthy tort won't strave itself. My RF loves hibiscus flowers if you have access to any I would try those and see what happens.

He has completely buried himself under 2" of moss :] I will probably offer some rose pedals as a start and see what happens. Should I expect it to be crawling around and being active any time soon? I read on here that hatchlings are really shy so I'm not even sure if it's acting normal at this point.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As either yvonne or maggie says "hatchlings like to hide", hatchlings know they are prey and likely to be eaten, I would say right now hiding is perfectly normal.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses. It is still hiding under the moss and I think it has just been really stressed the last few days. I offered a few rose petals, but hasn't eaten. I will just keep myself from disturbing it and leave it alone so it can adjust :)

I was digging around and found him in some moss, and he made a single puff, probably indicating that he is stressed.

artemiss

5 Year Member
I hope everything works out for you. Its probably just a waiting game for now, give him time to relax and come around. He is really cute though, gorgeous shell.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes hatchlings hide a lot, but once he settles in (after a week or so) you do need to see him moving around and eating daily. If he isn't, then get him up and place him in front of the food. Have a hide right next to the food and quite a few all over the enclosure so he can dart from one to another. You may only see an hour of activity a day, but you should see some. Gorgeous! Double check the temps (make sure its an accurate thermometer like a temp gun) as when you add humidity it cools them down.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Thanks for replies guys! He has moved a bit this afternoon and his appendages are spread out so i think that's a good sign, because he was hiding in his shell all day.

How long can he go without food? Should I soak him daily? I have a dish with water but he hasn't been in it and I am worried about dehydration.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He may go it it when you aren't looking. I moisten the food to help. With a Redfoot, a warm misting especially when they are eating is great. Soaking on a regular schedule is up to you, as it can be stressful on the animal. I like to place baby bath warm water in the dish in the enclosure and place my tort in there and then let him get out when he wants. A twist on the forced soak. Many times he stays in there for awhile and relaxes...sometimes leaves me a present lol. You should have a very moist substrate with a Redfoot and be misting so he is dripping wet (more like 80% humidity than 60% if I had to give a number) and feeding moist greens and such, so dehydration isn't too much of a worry if the care is correct. He can go quiet a while without food, but at his age more than a couple days I would worry about. Feed a nice variety to see what he likes (ask the past owner what he was eating and start with that even if its "bad food", you can change it over time). Place him in front of the food on a regular basis if he isn't eating much on his own. A tort may be able to eat a pile of greens their own size, but with higher calorie stuff for a Redfoot like the fruit and a protein source, a little can go a long way. If you see some nibbles here and there that is a much better situation than a hunger strike (but sometimes its tough to see if they have eaten anything I know).

HarleyK

5 Year Member
tortoisenerd said:
Yes hatchlings hide a lot, but once he settles in (after a week or so) you do need to see him moving around and eating daily. If he isn't, then get him up and place him in front of the food. Have a hide right next to the food and quite a few all over the enclosure so he can dart from one to another. You may only see an hour of activity a day, but you should see some. Gorgeous! Double check the temps (make sure its an accurate thermometer like a temp gun) as when you add humidity it cools them down.

I followed your advice tonight. I woke him up and set him on his basking rock and waved a rose petal in front of him and he immediately chomped down on it!

He almost finished the entire petal! Very active afterwards. I am feeling great about his chances now!

Attachments

• torty3.jpg
    torty3.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 14
  • torty2.jpg
    torty2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 13

luck102573

5 Year Member
Iowa
Harley,
That is great you finally got your rf . I love the shell! What is the basking rock for?
Teena

HarleyK

5 Year Member
luck102573 said:
Harley,
That is great you finally got your rf . I love the shell! What is the basking rock for?
Teena

Thanks Teena! I didn't actually mean basking rock....the CHE is directly above it so it is warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.