New RT owner help!

Bigfester99

image.jpg image.jpg Does my tortoises she'll look like proper growth? I have a good basking and UVB light calcium good diet ect. He's about 4 inches and I think he is a year old

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Looks like mine which was wild caught & had old injuries to her shell. Russians do not have super smooth shells from what I have been told but I am carefull to keep my humidity up too which helps. Also mine is 4 inches & I was told that puts her at 3 years at least or around.

Russian care sheet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Way more than a year old. Hard to estimate age in Russian tortoises because we just don't know about their previous conditions. Pet stores will tell you they are a year. :eek:
Looks to me like old injuries too. Shell is OK. To be on the safe side, you can give it a gentle scrub with a soft tooth brush and mild soap and water; rinse well. Beak is OK; to keep it trimmed, feed your tort on a piece of slate and make sure he has access to a cuttle bone.
Keep him hydrated with soaks 1-2x per week.
Good job! :)

Bigfester99

Way more than a year old. Hard to estimate age in Russian tortoises because we just don't know about their previous conditions. Pet stores will tell you they are a year. :eek:
Looks to me like old injuries too. Shell is OK. To be on the safe side, you can give it a gentle scrub with a soft tooth brush and mild soap and water; rinse well. Beak is OK; to keep it trimmed, feed your tort on a piece of slate and make sure he has access to a cuttle bone.
Keep him hydrated with soaks 1-2x per week.
Good job! :)
Thankyou!! How would I go about trimming his beak? Just a cuttle bone?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Cuttlebone & feeding on a flat rock or slate help keep it filed down

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...looks like normal Russian shell to me.