New Russian, in good shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bthumpsta

5 Year Member
So I just brought home my Russian, his names Dog... dont ask :p . He's active most the day, kept me up all night digging out his hide box... He hasnt eaten anything yet, but i keep a bowl full of mustard greens available. ive caught him bathing in his water tray once already and laying underneath his basking light. The pet store didnt have a basking light so im pretty sure he's enjoying that.

My biggest concerns right now are the substrate, the lighting, and his shell. I bought a fairly nice UVB light setup, but the temp in the basking area stays right around 80-85. I'd like to see it a little higher (prolly why he hasn't eaten yet). so I suppose i need a stronger bulb, i believe i have a 75 watt at the moment.

The substrate right now is just about 4-5 inches of cocnut coir. I've read this is suitable but it seems like he has trouble getting around in it. when he walks his little feet just sink down in it. Are there any methods of compacting it so its firmer yet soft enough to dig? I've also heard you should moisten it for humidity's sake, how would one go about doing that?

The shell im not terribly worried about, and im sure the vet will know whats up. It doesnt look like the pictures of shell rot i've see and its definitely not pyramiding. It just looks a little dry. I picked up some Iodine solution as ive heard this will disinfect any surface bacteria. Any suggestions on a specific solution and method of application to make sure his shell is nice and clean?

Sorry this is kinda long (who doesnt enjoy a good novel now and again?) pics coming soon! Thanks for reading! ~~~ Mitch

RussianRookie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NorCal
For the substrate, i would recommend you mix some pathway bark or any small sized bark/mulch with it. it should give him a better foothold. also make sure its organic or at least has no chemicals on it (never seen any that does though :p)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If it is a WC (wild caught) russian his shel will most likely look worn, kinda like someoe has been sanding it, mine are all WC and their shells look worn down. Do not worry about eating yet he could just be a little stressed from the move from petstore to your home, if you have access to hibiscus flowers mine absolutly love them. Gratz on the new russian.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I'd increase the temperature under the basking light to at least 90 degrees and 95-100 would be better for an adult.

Russians don't often drink, not as much as other Testudo species. But chances are if it came from a pet shop it was kept very dry and possibly without water available. Because of that it is a good idea to have water avaible to him and even to spray him and his entire enclosure a couple of times a day to increase substrate moisture and ambient humidity. With a basking light on and ambient temperatures within the enclosure in the 70's & 80's it's very doubtful that it will ever get too humid.

I mix coconut coir with about 65% organic potting soil. The potting soil tends to be firmer and compact better while the coconut coir will retain some moisture better than the potting soil. Spray it well with a new, clean larger pump spray bottle like those used for outdoor gardens. Some people also pour water in as needed and stir the substrate up. I just soak the heck out of it with the spray bottle usually. The humidity retention is going to depend a lot upon the room that the enclosure is in. If the room is dry (below 50% humidity) the enclosure is probably going to dry out faster.

The shell is probably dry and flaky looking due in part to the way the tortoise was formerly being kept. It is also not an uncommon look with adult Russian tortoises usually due to the harsh wild environment that they came from. Before taking it to the vet and spending a lot of money, possibly unnecessarily I'd recommend posting some good clear photos on this site first and let some experienced Russian tortoise members tell you if it looks normal or not. Vet's tend to quickly prescribe a cure in a bottle and sometimes it's not always necessary.

It's kind of pointless to use iodine to disinfect the tortoises shell and then allow the tortoise to dig through the substrate which is obviously not sterile. Unless it is active shell rot there is probably no reason to clean the area. But if the area's are just old scars and you want to clean them a simple disinfectant soap, water and a soft toothbrush will do it. This is only if the shell rot is not active.

Pictures would definitely help!

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Bthumpsta said:
So I just brought home my Russian, his names Dog... dont ask :p . He's active most the day, kept me up all night digging out his hide box... He hasnt eaten anything yet, but i keep a bowl full of mustard greens available. ive caught him bathing in his water tray once already and laying underneath his basking light. The pet store didnt have a basking light so im pretty sure he's enjoying that.

My biggest concerns right now are the substrate, the lighting, and his shell. I bought a fairly nice UVB light setup, but the temp in the basking area stays right around 80-85. I'd like to see it a little higher (prolly why he hasn't eaten yet). so I suppose i need a stronger bulb, i believe i have a 75 watt at the moment.

The substrate right now is just about 4-5 inches of cocnut coir. I've read this is suitable but it seems like he has trouble getting around in it. when he walks his little feet just sink down in it. Are there any methods of compacting it so its firmer yet soft enough to dig? I've also heard you should moisten it for humidity's sake, how would one go about doing that?

The shell im not terribly worried about, and im sure the vet will know whats up. It doesnt look like the pictures of shell rot i've see and its definitely not pyramiding. It just looks a little dry. I picked up some Iodine solution as ive heard this will disinfect any surface bacteria. Any suggestions on a specific solution and method of application to make sure his shell is nice and clean?

Sorry this is kinda long (who doesnt enjoy a good novel now and again?) pics coming soon! Thanks for reading! ~~~ Mitch

THIEF!!!!!!
My Russians name is DOG! and I am planning on getting 2 females, and I am planning on naming them, Kitty and ***** Cat.

And, PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Bthumpsta

5 Year Member
Finally got some pics! He's eating now and still pretty active during the day, although hes been burried shell deep since about 6/7p.m. last night (it's now noon). But his light just warmed up so I'd imagine he'll be out soon, once it warms up for the day I'll take him outside for an hour or so :) thanks for your help everyone!

Attachments

• downsized950419001820.jpg
    downsized950419001820.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMAG0346.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMAG0347.jpg
    IMAG0347.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0350.jpg
    IMAG0350.jpg