Russian not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
I got my Russian tortoise about a week ago. I was told he is under a year old. I have not seen him eat yet, and it doesnt look like any of his food is missing. Today is the first time ive seen him bask. I have offered him a variety of foods. Anyone know how long it usually takes for them to get settled in and start eating?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
It can take a while for them to settle in. Can you tell us what the temps are and his general set up?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He should be eating by now, but still settling in. Please provide enclosure photos and measure the temps with an accurate thermometer (you should buy a temp gun if you don't have one). Do you have a hide near the basking spot and near the food? If not, this is key. Hatchling won't eat if they can't warm up, and they won't bask if they don't have a hide very nearby to retreat to. If the only hide is in the cold area, they will just stay there. There order of importance is security, then warmth, then food. I would make sure there are hides in basking and food areas, and then place him in the hide in the basking area, and then an hour later if he hasn't moved, place him in the hide next to the food so he can see it. What are you trying to feed? Do you know what the breeder was feeding? Can you provide the SCL of the tort (straight carapace length)? Spring mix with some radicchio should be enticing (no spinach though). Regardless of background or healthy appearance, I recommend a vet check up and fecal test for parasites for all torts, with a follow up 3-4 months later, then done yearly. Good luck!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would check with the previous owner to see what your little tort was eating prior to arriving.

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
Just an update. He is finally eating! I have been giving him a mixture of romaine salad mix and some plantain and dandelion.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Can you switch the romaine mix to spring mix? It has more and better quality variety. Most of the romaine mixes have carrots and cabbage, which are both bad. You want to avoid the spinach in spring mix (some brands don't have it), but other than that everything in it is great for a tort if you can't feed a natural diet from your yard. Since you say plantain and dandelion, can you find more stuff like that? Hibiscus flowers, mulberry and grape leaves, other weeds, greens from veggies, and dark leafy lettuces are all great examples.

Yay!!!!

MichelleCarrigan78

10 Year Member!
Minnesota
I bought Herb mix, but next time I will get spring mix. I didnt know carrots and cabbage arent good... I live in an apartment, so there isnt a whole lot of wild stuff around. I am kind of afraid to pick random stuff incase its poisonous or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.