***New Russian Tortoise Lover needs help***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryancal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Reston, VA
I live in Northern, VA and will attempt to make a long story short. My neighbor had a Russian and could no longer care for him. My wife and I decided to take on the tortoise and I quickly realized, through my own research, that my neighbor was not caring for him properly. Don't know all the specifics but I know that he only had a 50 watt basking bulb, no UVB for over 3 months and he was fed iceberg quite regularly. He seemed to be thriving under my care. Then the neighbor's kid learned that we were keeping the Russian, he flipped out. So they asked for him back. I was really dissapointed and had spent a ton of time researching everything there is to know about Russian's. I primarily used russiantortoise.org. I fell in love with these guys and enjoyed my 5 days as an owner so much that I went to Petsmart and picked their last one up for $70. Based on my experience with the neighbors Russian, this new guy has not seemed to adapt all that well and I'm concerned. He's not eating much at all, no milky white urates, no excrement, not very active and seems freightened of me and ducks under his carapice when I get near him but is fine once I pick him up. I only pick him up to bathe him. Please see a list of my current set-up below and let me know what you think. Thank you!

- I am using a Sterilite storage bin with the dimensions below:
34 5/8" L x 18 3/4" W x 12 5/8" H
87.9cm L x 47.6cm W x 32.1cm H
- 50/50 All Living Things Tropical Soil and play sand from Home Depot
- ZooMed Mercury Vapor 100W with ZooMed Deep Dome/on 12 hrs/day
- Hygrometer reads 50-60% consistently
- Digital Thermostat with probe reads 90-95 under Mercury Vapor and in the low 70's elsewhere
- Hide log, water bowl and food dish

I called petsmart and they told me to give it a few more days and to buy some tortoise pellets that they are used to. I just don't trust them. Thanks again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Bryancal":

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The folks at pet stores are in the business to make money, not to learn all the ins and outs of caring for their animals. However, in this case they gave you some good advice. Not that you should continue to use the pellets, but use them until you get the tortoise to eat a more healthful diet.

Russiantortoise.org is a very good spot for you to learn how to care for your russian tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
hmmm? I do not know that I would have returned the first tortoise??? But that is just me :D

The tortoise from the pet shop seem to take a bit to get acclimated to you and his new enclosure...so yes, be patient. Most of the Russians at the pet shops were once wild---so they take a bit longer to trust as well.

Also as Yvonne suggested...you can try the pellets mixed in with the foods you want him to eventually rely upon...and wean him off the pellets onto the greens.

Also, you can go tough love and simply continue to offer the greens that are better for him and eventually he will eat....

Good luck with your little one !!!!! :D

Bryancal

5 Year Member
Reston, VA
emysemys said:
Hi "Bryancal":

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

The folks at pet stores are in the business to make money, not to learn all the ins and outs of caring for their animals. However, in this case they gave you some good advice. Not that you should continue to use the pellets, but use them until you get the tortoise to eat a more healthful diet.

Russiantortoise.org is a very good spot for you to learn how to care for your russian tortoise.

Yvonne,

That's great advice on the food. I am going to run to Petsmart as soon as I get my 3 year old hellion down for bed. Can you suggest a good tortoise food that they sell or will whatever they have for tortoises do? Thanks so much and I'm really looking forward to my new endeavor!

Bryancal

5 Year Member
Reston, VA
ascott said:
hmmm? I do not know that I would have returned the first tortoise??? But that is just me :D

The tortoise from the pet shop seem to take a bit to get acclimated to you and his new enclosure...so yes, be patient. Most of the Russians at the pet shops were once wild---so they take a bit longer to trust as well.

Also as Yvonne suggested...you can try the pellets mixed in with the foods you want him to eventually rely upon...and wean him off the pellets onto the greens.

Also, you can go tough love and simply continue to offer the greens that are better for him and eventually he will eat....

Good luck with your little one !!!!! :D

Angela,

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! It's good to know that it's common for pet shop tortoises to be a bit guarded. Do you recommend that I take him to the vet? Unfortunately, I am a bit tight on cash due to the holidays and would like to avoid it if possible but will not neglect my responsibility as a new tortoise owner. I will continue to push the good stuff with the pellets.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Welcome to TFO! Good to see you asking lots of questions (none of which I'm qualified to answer I'm afraid!!) there are loads of great people on here who will be able to help you.

Good luck with your new tort - and by the way... we all LOVE to see pictures!!!

Helen x

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of tortoises! I'm not sure about Russians specifically but good pellet foods that most people here use are Mazuri and Zoomed, don't think petsmart will have mazuri though...I would go with whatever they were feeding him so he recognizes it as food.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Angela's suggestion is a good one: find out what the PetSmart fed him. It won't be right, probably a combo of those little rainbow tortoise pellets and some kind of lettuce.
However, you can offer some of that kind of food mixed with the good stuff, or at least the same kind of lettuce. Then gradually transition to the correct foods over several weeks. Tough love works, they don't have to eat for a couple of weeks, so that may work too. Keep him hydrated, they are often dehydrated after being caught, transported and in pet stores.
*This is probably most important right now: Soak daily for a week or so, then 2-3x per week.
I have 4 Russians: 3 from craigslist, less than ideal conditions, to say the least, but acclimated to captivity. Thus, they are more active and stay in the open a lot, basking, etc.
The 4th was purchased at Petco during the sale, a small female (I think) that was housed with 3 males and had a little blood on her back leg, and I couldn't stand it!
She is much shyer, hides more. I get her up every day to other day, often soak and then she basks and eats. She looks good and all functions are fine. Being more recently wild caught, she is just not used to humans and captivity. I suspect it will take time, possibly months.
Ideally, at some point in the near future, you can take him/her to the vet for a check up, and fecal test.
If his/her eyes and nose are clear, the next step is to encourage bowel/bladder function. if that does not happen with soaking, then you need a vet visit much sooner.
good luck!
PS. I hope you gave some care information to your neighbors.

Bryancal

5 Year Member
Reston, VA
lynnedit said:
Angela's suggestion is a good one: find out what the PetSmart fed him. It won't be right, probably a combo of those little rainbow tortoise pellets and some kind of lettuce.
However, you can offer some of that kind of food mixed with the good stuff, or at least the same kind of lettuce. Then gradually transition to the correct foods over several weeks. Tough love works, they don't have to eat for a couple of weeks, so that may work too. Keep him hydrated, they are often dehydrated after being caught, transported and in pet stores.
*This is probably most important right now: Soak daily for a week or so, then 2-3x per week.
I have 4 Russians: 3 from craigslist, less than ideal conditions, to say the least, but acclimated to captivity. Thus, they are more active and stay in the open a lot, basking, etc.
The 4th was purchased at Petco during the sale, a small female (I think) that was housed with 3 males and had a little blood on her back leg, and I couldn't stand it!
She is much shyer, hides more. I get her up every day to other day, often soak and then she basks and eats. She looks good and all functions are fine. Being more recently wild caught, she is just not used to humans and captivity. I suspect it will take time, possibly months.
Ideally, at some point in the near future, you can take him/her to the vet for a check up, and fecal test.
If his/her eyes and nose are clear, the next step is to encourage bowel/bladder function. if that does not happen with soaking, then you need a vet visit much sooner.
good luck!
PS. I hope you gave some care information to your neighbors.

Lynne,

Yes, the Russian I gave back was actually returned to the Mother of the little boy. I helped her set up everything and made sure she had all the right lighting, substrate, and dietary needs. Thank you very much for your insight. I will definitely follow your advice and let you all know how things turn out. This forum is awesome, I should have joined 2 weeks ago. :D

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i know what you mean! i was a secret reader for a few months while active on other sites! im glad i too finally joined lol
Welcometo TF.org

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
welcome to the forum! And all the luck to u and your new tort!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.