New Russian tortoise owner!

nikitab

Hi I recently got aImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488470399.923861.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1488470411.519924.jpg horsefield tortoise and I've been reading up a lot but some sites say different things so I'm a little confused!
Tort is eating well he likes dandelions and weeds but doesn't seem to be drinking at all, is there a reason?
Also I'd like to make sure his table is set out okay? He's only 8 months old.

Any advice would be great!

P.S in photos you can't see his hide very well it's quite spacious and dark inside for him ☺️

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Just be sure he's warm enought. An open-topped table is sometimes hard to heat all over the whole enclosure.

nikitab

I'm not too sure to be honest, I'm unsure as to what kind of thermometer I should have and where best to put if

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises aren't very fond of water. Because your tortoise is still young, I would soak him in warm water daily for about 15 minutes. Use a small enough bowl (that he can't climb out of) so that you can put it back into the habitat next to, but not right under, the light, to keep it warm.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can add a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to the other end of the habitat:

ceramic heat emitter.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)
He looks great but you will need a much larger enclosure very shortly.
Young tortoises (if he is that young) spend a lot of time hiding. They are a prey animal.
Once he settles in and becomes aware that you are not going to eat him but are, in fact, the food god, he should become more outgoing.
Check http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
as well as http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
and please ask if you have any questions.

nikitab

Thanks that helps a lot, I'm wondering if I put a heat mat under the soil in his hide will it help create a better more humid house or would he get too hot?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks that helps a lot, I'm wondering if I put a heat mat under the soil in his hide will it help create a better more humid house or would he get too hot?
I don't think heating from below i good for the tortoise and it will dry out your substrate too quickly.
Also if he digs down, which Russians will do, there could be a problem.
What's your humidity now ?

nikitab

Ahh right okay thanks, not too sure but I don't think it's very high, I only got him on Monday