New horse field tortoise

Yas1992

Hi, I've recently been given a 4 month horsefield tortoise as a birthday present last Saturday (23rd May) and would like a few questions answered:
1. Percy seems to be eating ok, but he hasn't pooped since last Sunday.
2. He also seems to be sleeping a lot, is this normal since he's only young ?

Also I know I've given him a male name and not knowing his sex but it's the first name I thought of when I saw him☺️

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Yas, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your young charge.
And happy birthday for last Saturday!
It's very good that he/she's eating, sometimes they go into a sulk and won't eat to begin with.
You sure he hasn't pooped and you haven't found it yet? Outside maybe?
Don't think you need to worry yet.
Sleeping a lot is perfectly normal for a baby tortoise. They eat, sleep and not much else, really.
You won't know his sex for a good while yet, but Percy is a good name. Even if he does turn out to be a she, I don't suppose she'll get a complex.
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
for lots of good information on Percy's care.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How are you keeping him? We love pictures.

Babies do sleep a lot. The wrong lights or temps can also have the same effect.

Yas1992

Thank you and nothing since last Sunday, when I first got him I gave him a wash as advised by the breeder he was brought from. When I noticed he'd gone three days with no poop (inside or outside - I sit out with him when he's outside because the run hasn't got wire on the roof yet and don't trust my cats) I placed him in some water as i heard this is a good laxative for them. He's weeing fine, and I'm changing his water and food everyday, sometimes change the water more than once if I see its dirty. I'm not sure if it could be that I'm only giving him vegetables that may be the problem? Don't know if I should be giving him pellets as well, I do have the calcium powder which I was told to sprinkle on his food.
He's in my room, and the temp is usually between 20-23 degrees c when the light is off and 27-30 when its on. I leave the light on for a good 10-12 hours.
I've attached a picture of Percy for you. He's currently measuring at 7 1/2 cms, weighing him tomorrow as I've been waiting for the scales to arrive. He was a much wanted surprise present so have been spending most of this week rushing to get the smaller bits I needed !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433085576.271310.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You've got that same substrate that all the UK pet shops recommend. Its a bad idea to encourage your tortoise to eat its substrate every time it has a calcium craving. Its also much too dry. I would remove and replace it with something else ASAP. I prefer coco coir for babies and orchid bark for older ones.

Please read these for answer to your questions:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yas1992

Thank you for the information, I will buy some coco coir online now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the information, I will buy some coco coir online now.

Its really much better for him.

Make a 4-6" layer and hand pack it down to reduce the mess. After about two weeks the coir sort of "settles" and becomes less messy. If you spot clean daily, you never have to replace it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I think your baby's problem is a diet that's too dry. See if you can find him some nice, fresh edible weeds, then spray water on them and see if he'll eat them. What do you feed him, by the way?

Yas1992

What's the best one to order? And so I just mix it in with the soil he has in his home at the moment?
I currently feed him a mixture of veg: cabbage, rocket (which he seems to love and never leaves any behind) carrots, celery. The breeder he was brought from didn't really use pellets for the hatchlings so was told I didn't really need them, is this ok? I want to start also planting some food for him? Is this a good idea?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I have wanted a tortoise for so long so really want to make sure I do the best for him !

[ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433090583.925595.jpgATTACH=full]132122[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433090564.314869.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433090564.314869.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 12

Yas1992

Also this is the terrain I was given with him, I have this on the part of the enclosure with no roof and in his closed home part I have hay.
The picture of him next to his food is the day I received him, he now has a food bowl ☺️. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433091145.358709.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433091153.591769.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433091170.617571.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That diet looks ok, but I'd go easy on the carrots. I'd also feed him on a piece of slate, tile or cement to keep the food clean. Then spritz water on it.

Yas1992

I've got a shallow plate I feed him on. I'll cut down on the carrots, will have a look around for some weeds and plant a few this week :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A bit of a late.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And a warm welcome to the forum. ;)