New Russian tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tia Derr

5 Year Member
Hello,

My daughter (8) is the proud owner of a Russian tortoise. She named him Chipper. He's very active, has good "color", and eats like a pig. I've done alot of research on tortoises, but, as expected, have a few questions. Can I take him for a "walk" in the backyard when it's breezy outside? Does wind bother them? Also, what is a good mix for his bedding? Right now I have bark, but think it needs to be more dig friendly...

Thanks all,

Tucson,

Tia

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Tia and welcome to the forum...Congrats on the new tortoise...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
welcome
walks are fine ideally you would want some type of permanent enclosure for it, but keep an eye out they can move fast.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, it would be much better if you even just threw something together to contain Chip when he's outside. All it takes is a minute of inattention and you've lost your tortoise.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They do like to dig. Lots of substrate options
Cypress mulch is great and not dusty.
Organic topsoil, alone or mixed 70% soil/30% playsand.
They thrive outside. If it is not <60, they don't care about the wind because they are low to the ground! Especially if it is sunny.

Tia Derr

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
They do like to dig. Lots of substrate options
Cypress mulch is great and not dusty.
Organic topsoil, alone or mixed 70% soil/30% playsand.
They thrive outside. If it is not <60, they don't care about the wind because they are low to the ground! Especially if it is sunny.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone. I got some organic top soil, ground up looking mulch at HD today for his pin. He's been outside quite a bit too. He like to stay in the dog's sand pit, where it's cool. Today, he slipped unde the BBQ grill cover, where there was cover. He's wasn't feeling so sure of the enviroment I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.