New Russian tortoise owner

Chuckd

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hey,

I got my new tortoise Chuck D a week ago, here is a picture of my enclosure. I am new tortoise owner so I don't know what I am doing. I feed him collard greens or romaine. I feed him cactus but he didn't eat much of it and some dried flowers which he will eat. I spray the enclosure once a day. I also gave him his first soak today and he didn't like that. He does bask a lot and when he walks around, he tries to escape for a bit and then he burrows. Any helpful info appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20211030_180815475.jpg
    PXL_20211030_180815475.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome! I am not familiar with Russian torts, but I am sure someone will be here soon. Is the UVB light on top of glass? If so you will need to get it under the glass. The glass filters out the UVB.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Also noticed the basking light is being secured by the clamp that comes with it. You need to trash the clamp and hang it. They make a stand for those lights. There have been situations where the clamp fails or gets bumped and falls into the enclosure. Possibly burning or killing the tort. Or possibly starting a fire and burning your house down or at least causing damage. They should never sell those clamps.Screenshot_20211030-180816_Chrome.jpg

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

The above is a great thread to read with lots of the basics of heat and light and food and water/humidity.

• I try to feed my Russians a variety of greens and herbs and flowers and weeds and such.
  • I feed them a bit of mazuri or other kibble 1-2 times a week.
  • I feed them a bit of butternut squash or pumpkin guts 1-2 times a week.
I soak my adults about once a week, and if yours is less than that I'd suggest more often (it's hard to soak them too much).

I don't brumate mine, and it's easy enough to keep them active throughout the winter by keeping the temps above 65 (at least, I usually have a daytime basking area in the 95-105 range) and keeping the lighting on a 12/12 day/night cycle.

There are lots of people with much more experience than me, but feel free to ask questions if I can help.

Jamie

Chuckd

Chicago
Welcome! I am not familiar with Russian torts, but I am sure someone will be here soon. Is the UVB light on top of glass? If so you will need to get it under the glass. The glass filters out the UVB.
There is no glass there, so I think I'm good there

Chuckd

Chicago
Welcome to TFO!

The above is a great thread to read with lots of the basics of heat and light and food and water/humidity.

• I try to feed my Russians a variety of greens and herbs and flowers and weeds and such.
  • I feed them a bit of mazuri or other kibble 1-2 times a week.
  • I feed them a bit of butternut squash or pumpkin guts 1-2 times a week.
I soak my adults about once a week, and if yours is less than that I'd suggest more often (it's hard to soak them too much).

I don't brumate mine, and it's easy enough to keep them active throughout the winter by keeping the temps above 65 (at least, I usually have a daytime basking area in the 95-105 range) and keeping the lighting on a 12/12 day/night cycle.

There are lots of people with much more experience than me, but feel free to ask questions if I can help.

Jamie
Thank you

Chuckd

Chicago
Also noticed the basking light is being secured by the clamp that comes with it. You need to trash the clamp and hang it. They make a stand for those lights. There have been situations where the clamp fails or gets bumped and falls into the enclosure. Possibly burning or killing the tort. Or possibly starting a fire and burning your house down or at least causing damage. They should never sell those clamps.View attachment 335444
Thank you, I have the clamp hanging from that, I'll take it off tonight, when it cools down

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome.
If you follow the caresheet it will help your tort thrive so read that carefully, but ask as many questions as you like to clarify anything.
His enclosure looks a bit small for a tort his size so maybe try to think of ways to enlarge what you have e.g. by linking a second tote, while you are planning a bigger enclosure. A young adult of the smaller species needs a minimum of 4 x8 feet but the bigger the better. Torts need to roam for digestion and bone health.
Are you using an MVB bulb i.e. a bulb that gives heat light and UVB in one? If so, although they are convenient they aren't recommended anymore because they have been found to dry and damage tort shells.
Many of us use T5 HO tubes for UVB, with a separate flood basking bulb (spots are too intense) and a CHE run through a thermostat for night heat and extra heat when needed. The CHE just gives heat because torts beed darkness to sleep The thermostat keeps temps even and stops it getting too hot. Coiled and CFL type bulbs damage tort eyes so should be avoided.
Your tort may find a terracotta plant saucer easier to access and exit for water if it is sunk level with the substrate.
Don't worry if he is active in his soak that is good and will encourage him to poop in the water which is easier to dispose of, but make sure you change in clean water after. It should only be luke warm and shallow and never cover his head even when he lays flat.
There is a lot to learn but don't panic we have all made mistakes, but now you have found the forum the important thing is you that can correct them before they impact too much on the tort. I've been a member for over 7 years and I still learn something new everyday!!