New Russian tortoise ... what’s up with his shell?

jgeigley

Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
New Russian tortoise owner here and I’ve been reading these boards over the past week or so (especially the Russian care sheet/beginner mistakes - so glad for these resources!) We picked up our new Russian yesterday and brought him home - my husband had built a 4x8’ box + an outdoor enclosure and I’m using the info I’ve read here to create the best environment we can. (He does not live in the container shown in the pic - this was taken when we picked him up.) Here’s the thing - we don’t know much at all about his previous owners and care. His shell looks odd to me ... was he maybe not taken outside or fed the right things? Does he just need some TLC?

BE60D010-60B8-4FA8-9B67-846A138EED0D.jpeg

BE60D010-60B8-4FA8-9B67-846A138EED0D.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, that's a beautiful shell. You should see the condition some of those pet store russians are in. Yours looks great.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
New Russian tortoise owner here and I’ve been reading these boards over the past week or so (especially the Russian care sheet/beginner mistakes - so glad for these resources!) We picked up our new Russian yesterday and brought him home - my husband had built a 4x8’ box + an outdoor enclosure and I’m using the info I’ve read here to create the best environment we can. (He does not live in the container shown in the pic - this was taken when we picked him up.) Here’s the thing - we don’t know much at all about his previous owners and care. His shell looks odd to me ... was he maybe not taken outside or fed the right things? Does he just need some TLC?

View attachment 239256

View attachment 239256
Hi from Vegas! He so handsome.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's actually a great looking Russian!

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
Hi! Yes, your tortoise looks fine
But I see that you have a clear box for him. I would recommend changing that, because the clear box will confuse him and make him stressed out, and he will bang his head on the plastic. But, other than that, good job!