New Russian Tortoise

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Misting puts a little moisture in the air. Its not nearly enough. What is needed is moisture in the substrate, especially at a depth the tortoise can burrow into. Pour water in & stir it around. I have no experience with Cyprus mulch so I don't know how it is, if it gets moldy when damp, or if you'll need to change it out entirely.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Welcome! Hatchlings are much harder to care for so your wc adultis a good starter tort. It is impossible to guess the age. I have a wc too and I'm calling her 8 yrs old even though I do not know. Your shallow bowl will be fine and 3 times a week is also good.

rinconmike

5 Year Member
We went back and returned the compact bulb and fixture. Anyone have one to recommend? She said to go with a zoomed 10.0 in a regular fluorescent fixture. They also said I can do without the screen, I just need to hang the lights somehow.

Also, I asked about CB and WC. She said they have a breeder and it is a CB between 1 and 2 years old.

rinconmike

5 Year Member

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yes, those power suns do both and are great bulbs. I am a fan of them.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
We went back and returned the compact bulb and fixture. Anyone have one to recommend? She said to go with a zoomed 10.0 in a regular fluorescent fixture. They also said I can do without the screen, I just need to hang the lights somehow.

Also, I asked about CB and WC. She said they have a breeder and it is a CB between 1 and 2 years old.
Most petstore employees don't know about the animals their selling, and they don't want you know he's probably WC. Some nasty stuff goes down on the way from the Mediterranean to here :(
I like tube UVBs, so that one is great :D 4'' is older than 1 year, for sure!
How's his diet now? If he's getting lettuce, cut it out and offer him weeds and flowers, it's way better for him!
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I could certainly be wrong after looking at the pictures very closely, I think this just might be a CB Russian. I also see his shell length as being just over 3". I think he's older than one year but he's somewhat smaller than the WC I usually see in chain pet stores. There is no way to really know for sure though.

Just wondering, did you purchase him from a large chain like Petco or Pets Mart or from a more specialize reptile or exotic pet shop? He's nice looking.

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
got him from a small shop that has been around for 30 years.
In that case, while I can't guarantee it, it is very possible that he is CB. To me his shell looks like a younger CB. @Tom, what is your opinion?
(Tom is one of our resident Russian experts :p)

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
As long as the heat lamp isn't perhaps too close, one can actually use this type of enclosure (your breeder tank) for a somewhat extended time for Russians if plenty substrate is a "ground" of about 5 or 6 inches (great for burrowing) deep and thus their roam/bask time is done up so high to open air, the theory then of the evils of using a glass tank go "out the window". It's being near the bottom of the tank, particularly one that is 18" or 24" high that is a major issue. As most to all commercial/consumer tanks are not produced both shallow and dimensioned spaciously by trade, one needs to do what you're regarding a larger and appropriate enclosure. Great as some name brand pro enclosures look as is, burrowing capabilities beats plain hiding and hiding sections when outdoors can heat up like a hot attic. Just some food for thought. Good luck-nice you are able to start off with one younger than most get a chance to in this country.