New Russian tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulsive Adopter

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I just rescued a male russian and I was hoping for some guidance. I have a uv bulb, and a night time bulb, as well as a small pool for him to sit in.

I'm using a bark bedding and am feeding him kale, collards, broccoli, and carrots.

am I doing okay with my setup and care so far?

Amanda1

5 Year Member
Plainfield, IN
I'm still new to this but hopefully someone else will be by soon...

First, www.russiantortoise.org has some great information, so you should definitely check that out.

For now, what are your temperatures? (warm side, cool side, hot spot, and night time). As far as I know (again, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong), the temps should be warm 85-95F, cool 75-85, basking 95-105, and night 65-70. This allows your tort to adjust his body temp be moving to a cooler/warmer part of the enclosure.
How big is your enclosure and what kind is it? Pictures are great :)
Be careful with your UV light. Coiled UV bulbs can cause blindness. A lot of people here use mercury vapor bulbs like the Zoo Med Powersun UV, which has heat, light, UVA, and UVB all in one.

I think bark is ok. I use a mix of coconut fiber (eco earth), coconut bark, and sand. From what I've read less sand is better.
As far as food, check russiantortoise.org, and here is another helpful thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1ctTZsVj3

Good luck, and before I forget, welcome!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Amanda has given you good information (ok, maybe the cool side should be a bit cooler, nearer 70). The web site she cites and also the TFO thread contain very good diet advice.
Limit a carrot to once per month just to help sharpen his beak. Make sure he has a cuttle bone (same as for birds), he may ignore it for months, but they need to have it.
They should eat a variety of greens/weeds. In winter, getting the Baby Spring Mix is a good base. Provide as much variety as you can.
What do you mean by bark bedding: the larger chips are not very good, as it is hard for them to walk on them. Coir (Eco bricks or Bed a Beast) or cypress mulch or even organic topsoil are great.
If your house does not get below 60 to 65, you may not need night heating, but it depends on what your temps are.
Good for you to help a tort out! They are very rewarding.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The information that Amanda gave is good, but I would cool things down a bit overall-Daytime ambient temperature is better at around 70-80 on the cool end, the warmer end will be warm enough from heat radiating off the basking light. That warmer end can be in the 78-86 degree range and the temperature directly under the basking light about 95-105, even 110 is fine. At night a 15-20 degree temperature differential compared to the daytime temperatures is preferrable. Anywhere from as low as 55 to 65 degrees. Keeping them too warm overall will often cause them to go into aestivation, which is a warm weather type of brumation (hibernation) to escape the constant heat.

Keep in mind that tortoises can only regulate their body temperature by the the temperatures that they have access too. Often times, being too hot is as bad or worse than being cooler for them.

Impulsive Adopter

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Under the basking light the temp is around 95-100, and it gets down to 80 on the cool side.

The enclosure I have him in right now is a little small for him, but I am waiting for some extra cash to build a bigger enclosure.

2011-11-06121325.jpg

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Good start. Swap out the reptile bark when you can to the other substrates mentioned. You can even mix the bark in with something like Coir (comes as bricks and you mix with boiling water, let cool, and squeeze out excess water).
To save money, you can watch Freecycle or Craigslist for free or inexpensive book cases, turn them on their side, and you have a tort table. Then you can spend your hard earned money on lighting, substrate and a variety of greens.

Impulsive Adopter

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
lynnedit said:
Good start. Swap out the reptile bark when you can to the other substrates mentioned. You can even mix the bark in with something like Coir (comes as bricks and you mix with boiling water, let cool, and squeeze out excess water).
To save money, you can watch Freecycle or Craigslist for free or inexpensive book cases, turn them on their side, and you have a tort table. Then you can spend your hard earned money on lighting, substrate and a variety of greens.

I can't have an open top enclosure. I have five cats, two of which I am positive would try to eat my Russian (Sheldon) if they had half a chance. We have to build an enclosure for my brothers python anyways so it won't be that difficult I think.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Protecting your tort is #1!
Sounds like you have experience building enclosures, so post some pics when it is done.
(make a screened top for the bookcase??? :p)

babylove6635

5 Year Member
Impulsive Adopter said:
Under the basking light the temp is around 95-100, and it gets down to 80 on the cool side.

The enclosure I have him in right now is a little small for him, but I am waiting for some extra cash to build a bigger enclosure.

2011-11-06121325.jpg
LOOKS GREAT I LOVE THE SKULL I HAVE THREE OF THEM IN MY OUT SIDE ENCLOSURE AND SO YOU KNOW THEY WILL CHEW ON THEM TOO FOR CLCIUM MORE THAN THE CUTTEL BONE LOL BUT KEEP THE CUTTLE BONE IN.

Status
Not open for further replies.